We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Artic Circle

Which Fairbanks hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Artic Circle

Is it better to take a fly and drive tour of the Artic Circle or to drive from Fairbanks yourself?

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Artic Circle

Most rental car companies will not permit their cars on the Dalton Hwy. There are a couple of companies in Fairbanks that rent specially equipped vehicles (CB radios, extra spare tires), for about $200 per day.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,190 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Artic Circle

I think that a fly/drive tour would be well worth the money, considering how remote the highway is. I am planning on taking such a tour in September.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Artic Circle

Thank you. This was what I was looking for. Fly and Drive Tour it is.

New Braunfels, Texas
Level Contributor
246 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Artic Circle

there's also a drive/drive tour i belive which lasts about 12 hrs. They drive up past the arctic circle and then back. They make a couple stops along the way and provide lunch. My wife and I did that one several years ago. it was long, but enjoyable.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Artic Circle

I recently did the drive/drive tour. It was more like a 16 hour trip. We had a fantastic driver/guide.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,190 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Artic Circle

I can imagine that the driving tour lasts 16 hours. My fly/drive tour is scheduled to last 12 hours.

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
8,639 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Artic Circle

We have never driven the Dalton Hwy but we did the Dempster Hwy (YT/NWT) with our own car in 1994. Plan on not driving faster than 35 mph

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,130 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Artic Circle

>>>They make a couple stops along the way and provide lunch.<<<

Whether or not lunch is included depends on which tour operator you use. One provides lunch (Arctic Turtle) and the other (Northern Alaska) does not.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Artic Circle

Thank you all. I saw the drive/drive, but 16 hours (it is 16+ by the way) is too much for me, and flying in a small plane I think will give us the opportunity to see the area from a different perspective. And the fly/drive is still 12 hours long and we have a 6am flight to Juneau that following morning.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Artic Circle

Any feedback on the better of the fly/drive tour operators?