We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hows the weather...

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
147 posts
Save Topic
Hows the weather...

My daughter (25) and her boyfriend are heading over in the next 2 weeks for a birthday trip to see the aurora (hopefully) Any advice on what to bring, its 78 here in NYC today! and they arent in the winter mood yet. Also since they have learned that October is not the best time to visit Fairbanks for winter activities I have been trying to find some fun things for them to do. Any info on the Artic circle tour? Is it worth the time? How about the Running Reindeer ranch? It seem like that they will have to be doing a lot of driving between places and they only have 5 days! Any info is MUCH appreciated. BTW where is the nearest supermarket from the airport, they will be staying at the Aurora B lodge and will have to have supplies.

Mentioned in this post
Greatland Taxi and Tours Service
Taxis & Shuttles, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, City Tours, Fishing Charters & Tours
Alaska Skies Aurora Tours LLC
Night Tours, Cultural Tours, Sightseeing Tours, City Tours
Airlink Shuttle and Tours
City Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Bus Tours, Day Trips
Hansen's Alaskan Adventures
Multi-day Tours, Night Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Day Trips
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,215 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hows the weather...

What sort of things are they interested in? Tough for strangers to just suggest blindly. That said, there are museums in Fairbanks including the Museum of the North at the Univ of AK/Fairbanks . . . and the new cultural center downtown.

Best wishes on the aurora as it will be hit n miss. Why are they staying out of town at the Aurora Borealis Lodge? Can they change that to avoid so much driving?

As for arctic circle tours, you can do a "search" here on the forums for input on the tours offered that are drive or fly/drive up to the arctic circle.

Mentioned in this post
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
43,084 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hows the weather...

Nearest grocery stores to the airport are the Fred Meyer and Safeway. Fred Meyer is usually cheaper than Safeway.

Was nice there on Saturday - even a few leaves on the trees. :)

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
666 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hows the weather...

It snowed last night a little but it is sticking. It's over 30 right now on my front porch so not too cold.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,200 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hows the weather...

My wife and I are planning a visit to Fairbanks later this year, also staying at the Aurora Borealis Lodge. Here is some stuff we have identified to do while we are there:

Museum of the North at UAF

Fountainhead Antique Auto Museum (only open Sundays in winter)

Alyeska Pipeline Visitor's Center, just north of town

Chena Resort (hot springs, ice museum, other activities)

There is also Denali National Park, which is just a couple of hours drive to the south. I believe the Park Rd is already closed for winter, but you can still drive to the Winter Visitor's Center where there are some hiking trails. Or they could do a Denali flightseeing tour out of Talkeetna, just south of the park.

I don't know much about Arctic Circle tours, but there are daily flights from Fairbanks to Barrow on the North Slope. October is fall whaling season, and supposedly a good time to see polar bears out near Point Barrow.

With 8-9 hours of daylight each day, I should not think it too difficult to find activities - hope they have fun!

-JimG

Mentioned in this post
Fountainhead Antique Auto Museum
Fountainhead Antique...
862 Reviews
Fairbanks, AK
Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,971 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hows the weather...

Hi again Jim,

That's a great list but I think that a daughter and her boyfriend going have to decide what interests them.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
147 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hows the weather...

Hi all,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share this info! One more quick question ... have the Aurora been visible lately? They get in this Thursday!

Thank you!

7. Re: Hows the weather...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 17:20