We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alaska Arctic Circle Tour Company

Which Fairbanks hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
51 posts
446 reviews
Save Topic
Alaska Arctic Circle Tour Company

I found a three day tour from Fairbanks to Prudhoe Bay offered by the Alaska Arctic Circle Tour Company ( www.alaskaarcticcircletours.com/index.html ) that looked interesting. Their web site says they have been in business since 2003, but I have been unable to find any reviews or additional information regarding the tour or the company. They are not listed with the BBB or the Fairbanks Visitors Bureau. I can find nothing other than their web site. I find this curious at best. Do any of you have any information re: this company? Their tours? Are they still in business? Thanks.

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
82 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alaska Arctic Circle Tour Company

They are a small company offering sightseeing tours of northern Alaska. I have seen them around for years and they have a very good reputation. So much so that a competitor modeled a tour package after theirs. A long but very rewarding drive. You will see much more than the average visitor.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
4,345 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alaska Arctic Circle Tour Company

They will give you a tour. And it will be similar to what you get from the more popular Northern Alaska Tour Company. http://www.northernalaska.com/

But, there is only so much you can vary such a long drive.

After spending last summer along the Dalton Highway dealing with tourists and tour companies - IMHO, the Arctic Circle Tour company and their guides are a little less professional than the ones hired and trained by Northern Alaska Tours. Northern Alaska Tour Company has resources all along the Dalton Highway and in Prudhoe in the event of unforeseen problems or if you want to add on tours or change plans. Whether these differences justify the price difference you will have to decide.

Also, double check to see if AC tours actually does the trip you are looking for - I seem to recall they decided to just do the Arctic Circle tours but I could be wrong.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
51 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alaska Arctic Circle Tour Company

I thank you for the replys. The AC Tour companies three day "Arctic Ocean- Prudhoe Bay" is the tour that interested us. (alaskaarcticcircletours.com/Arctic_Ocean_Pru…) The experience, not cost is our deciding factor.

It appeared to us that this tour was more "relaxed", which may afford the opportunity to see and experience a bit more of the area. We liked the idea of staying in Wiseman two nights and having the opportunity to do a little bit of hiking.

Descriptions of the tours offered by other tour companies seem to be more rushed. The "get out.....get your picture......get back on the bus" type of tour, where the driver "tells you" what you're seeing, rather than letting one "experience" what is available.

At one point we had considered driving ourselves (I see that at least one company will rent vehicles for the trip), but have since come to the conclusion that accomodations would be next to impossible to get. The tour companies appear to have everything reserved or booked.

As mentioned, other than the AC website, we can find no reviews or information about the company. Understandably, I am hesitant to make a "non-refundable" payment for a tour with a company that I am not even sure exists.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks again.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
4,345 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alaska Arctic Circle Tour Company

Contact Heidi at the Boreal Lodge in Wiseman and see if she has anything available so you can do it yourself. That is by far the best way if you are willing. http://www.boreallodge.com/

Little Valley, New...
10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Alaska Arctic Circle Tour Company

My husband and I rented a car from Arctic Outfitters and drove to Coldfoot ourselves back in 2007. Then after checking in we drove up to Atigun Pass and turned around. Stayed in Coldfoot one night and returned to Fairbanks the next day.

We are returning again in August of 2012. This time we are driving to Deadhorse (you cannot go any further without a guide). We looked into the Prudhoe Bay Tour, so we could go the the Arctic Ocean, but found out that The Arctic Caribou Inn is closed and nobody else is doing tours at this time. I contacted Northern Alaska Tours re: this and they stated they are hoping someone else will take over.

They are places to stay on the way that may not be booked up by the tour companies. Coldfoot camp, Boreal Lodge and The Arctic Getaway (which is where we are staying.)

I would suggest going on your own, this way you can stop whenever you want and your not hurried along. Good Luck!

Edited: 13 December 2011, 19:32
Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
10,164 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alaska Arctic Circle Tour Company

I did the drive to Prudhoe Bay in 2006 or 2007?. Here's a link to a TA posting with some more info. on driving the Dalton Hwy (Haul Rd):

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28923-i349-k40157…

There are various forms (& quality) of accommodations on the way (& at the "top"). I could not imagine driving all the way and not taking a dip in the Arctic Ocean.

Good luck,

Scott

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
4,345 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alaska Arctic Circle Tour Company

"We looked into the Prudhoe Bay Tour, so we could go the the Arctic Ocean, but found out that The Arctic Caribou Inn is closed and nobody else is doing tours at this time."

That is interesting. As I recall there were negotiations going on and an offer was made that couldn't be refused. I think you will find the same folks that operate Coldfoot Camp and Deadhorse Camp (i.e. Northern Alaska) will be operating that hotel and the tours very soon . As I said in an earlier post - they have the resources along the Dalton. Of course, I don't know that for sure and the offer could have been refused or some hiccup with the oilfields or government or native corporations in the transition.

Edited: 14 December 2011, 07:36
New York
Level Contributor
3,145 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Alaska Arctic Circle Tour Company

I did the Prudhoe Bay tour with Northern Alaska tour company this year. I had gone with them twice before to Coldfoot. It was just excellent. We did not stay at the Caribou Inn, which is a large hotel that the cruiselines contract with. I find it difficult to believe they are not operating in August???

I stayed at the Deadhorse Camp. Again, just fantastic, excellent service, spotless areas, very friendly staff.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
51 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Alaska Arctic Circle Tour Company

I thank everyone for their replys. Based on the enthuiastic comments here and on another site, we had decided to rent a vehicle in Fairbanks and drive to Deadhorse. However, as mentioned above, the Arctic Caribou Inn and Tatqaani Tours are no longer in operation. May have to reconsider.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,121 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Alaska Arctic Circle Tour Company

So you are planning on driving but don't have lodging so you are reconsidering? In other words, you might take a tour after all or just cancel the Arctic Circle thing altogether? In any case, keep us updated as to what you decide.