We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fairbanks in End of Nov/beginning of Dec

Which Fairbanks hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ottawa, Canada
1 post
Save Topic
Fairbanks in End of Nov/beginning of Dec

Hi all..

Really need some help.

I am planning a 4 days trip to Fairbanks in the end of Nov/beginning of Dec. The main purpose of this trip will be seeing the Northern Lights. I do understand that I am taking my chances here. But I am willing to take the chance.

Can anyone help me out and let me know where should I stay and how are my chances to able to see the Northern Light during that period of time?

Thanks

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,130 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fairbanks in End of Nov/beginning of Dec

It is anyone's guess as to how likely it is that you'll see the northern lights. Three factors go into making it possible . . . (1) solar activity, (2) clear skies and (3) darkness.

The only given is #3.

As to where to stay, there are some specialty lodges that are rather remote and pricey . . . or you can stay in town and drive out of the city *if* you're fortunate enough to have visible aurora activity.

I would suggest you have alternative plans for activities and sightseeing on the chance that there are no northern lights to view during your time in Fairbanks.

Chugiak, Alaska
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fairbanks in End of Nov/beginning of Dec

Check out the Top Questions on the Fairbanks forum (on the right-hand side on regular browsers). There are a few threads that cover where to stay, where to drive to and view the Lights if you stay in town and they are dim, but viewable and what other things you can do while you are there.

Arizona
Level Contributor
15 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fairbanks in End of Nov/beginning of Dec

I've stayed at Aurora Borealis Lodge in 3/2011 and 2/2012 (staying again 1/2013). The lodge is located 20 miles north of Fairbanks on Cleary summit and offers wonderful views.

They only have four rooms, but I'd give them a call. They also offer nightly round-trip shuttle service from hotels in Fairbanks for an evening of Aurora viewing, solar activity and weather conditions permitting.

http://auroracabin.com/

Good luck!

New York
Level Contributor
3,145 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fairbanks in End of Nov/beginning of Dec

I too highly recommend staying on Cleary Summit. One of the best locations.

But, if at all possible, add days. Myself, I don't consider less than 2 weeks. DAILY check the aurora prediction website. I never recommend any of the "tours" recommended above, stuck on their timeframe. It is FAR superior to have your own transportation.

Another hot spot for unobstructive viewing is Chena Hot Springs, also used to be some B&B;s with some great views between Fairbanks and Chena.

You will have to be very lucky with only 4 days, and having other plans and activities is great advice offered above.

5. Re: Fairbanks in End of Nov/beginning of Dec

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2013, 10:15