We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aurora, eskimos, bears and walruses

Leonia, NJ
Level Contributor
156 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Aurora, eskimos, bears and walruses

I want to see everything! OK, so is Bettles better for aurora viewing than Chena Springs? If I go to Bettles, can I see eskimos nearby (Evansvile I think) living their traditional ways, or do I have to go up to Barrow for that? Same with seeing polar bears or walruses? Can I see it all in one place?

Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
5,543 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aurora, eskimos, bears and walruses

What time of year are you looking at?

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,552 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Aurora, eskimos, bears and walruses

The only place I have ever seen all those things is on Little Diomede. The time of year you plan to travel really matters.

Paxson, Alaska
Level Contributor
316 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Aurora, eskimos, bears and walruses

Well, you sure can't see any of those in Bettles, other than possibly the aurora, if you'll be visiting when we have dark skies.

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,099 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Aurora, eskimos, bears and walruses

Assume you are coming during the summer, so forget the Aurora. What do you mean by Eskimos? Alaska natives in general, or specifically Eskimos. They are really no different than the other groups, such as Inuits, which would be at Barrow. Right now on TV they are covering state high school basketball teams from the bush, mostly Alaska natives. Bears are better viewing on tours to Katmai (brown bears). There are polar bear excursions, which are rather expensive, but not sure of the season.

Leonia, NJ
Level Contributor
156 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Aurora, eskimos, bears and walruses

Never heard of it but I will look into it

Leonia, NJ
Level Contributor
156 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Aurora, eskimos, bears and walruses

ok, well, then it looks like Bettles it is for the aurora and I will have to go up to Barrow for the Inuits. But I thought there was a Native village around Evansville just outside of Bettles. Am i mistaken? Are they also Inuits? Than I suppose I may lso be able to see Walruses and Polar bears near Barrow?

Leonia, NJ
Level Contributor
156 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Aurora, eskimos, bears and walruses

February or March 2014. That's when I saw the aurora in NWT, CA this year. I want more...

Leonia, NJ
Level Contributor
156 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Aurora, eskimos, bears and walruses

Well, I am thinking Bettles is probably a better shot at seeing the aurora than Chena. Does anybody have any feedback concerning that?

Guayaquil, Ecuador
Level Contributor
122 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Aurora, eskimos, bears and walruses

I thought the lights were better than anything I had ever seen in photos or documentaries at Barrow. Someone who has lived in Barrow for 40 years thought they were the best he had ever seen. I loved it. Obviously an Eskimo town. The possibility of seeing polar bears is there, but for the most part, they're way out on pack ice in the winter. In Feb, we did see fresh tracks during the day. Get someone to drive you out to Point Barrow. You won't see walruses as you need to go out on a boat up north for that and the sea ice runs pretty far out.

Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
1,789 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Aurora, eskimos, bears and walruses

Today Evansville is generally referred to as Bettles, even though the genuine ghost town of Bettles is 6 or 10 miles down stream from Evansville. Bettles was a white man trading post serving the surrounding mining areas, and it ans Evansviile (with the Bettles airport) are in Indian Country, not Eskimo country.

For nothern lights you might consider the Indian Town of Fort Yukon on the Yukon River just north of the Arctic Circle. For an Eskimo town just as far north, you might consider Kotzebue. Fort Yukon is better for the Northern Lights and the University has an observatory there.

Going further north you might consider Kaktovic ?Barter Island on the Arctic Ocean. There you can see northern lights and polar bear in season, and Eskimo all the time. It is east of Prudhoe Bay and west of our Arctic Wildlife Refuge or ANWR, where we have a fine controversy between drilling part of the lands for oil or keeping it pristine.