We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Northwest Red eye flight out of Fairbanks back to St Paul...

Which Fairbanks hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kansas City
Level Contributor
46 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Northwest Red eye flight out of Fairbanks back to St Paul...

I'm looking for any info good or bad anyone might have for flying to Fairbanks from Kansas City, MO arriving 7/22 and leaving 7/28 or 7/29

our iternary will have us in fairbanks with a hotel and rental car till 7/26 (using Fairbanks as the home base to explore), then we are going to a fishing cabin outside of Fairbanks on night of 7/26 and 7/27.

We have a free ride from our fishing guide back to Fairbanks, so one option we have is to catch the Redeye flight out on 7/28 at 9PM, thereby saving another hotel rental and possibly a rental car just for one day.

Gettign there through St Paul is by far the shortest and cheapest, but just need to know if this is a bad idea as the return flight will be overnight. Traveling with myself and father.

Flight Information - Fri., Jul. 28, 2006

! This flight leaves and arrives on different dates.

Northwest

Flight 864 Departs: 9:40p

Fairbanks (FAI) Arrives: 5:54a

Minneapolis St Paul (MSP)

Economy | 757 | 5h 14m | LB30X7MN

Layover at Minneapolis St Paul (MSP) for 1h 6m

Northwest

Flight 3527

Operated by Mesaba Aviation Departs: 7:00a

Minneapolis St Paul (MSP) Arrives: 8:38a

Kansas

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
666 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Northwest Red eye flight out of Fairbanks back to St Paul...

It will still be light most of the night and not really more then twilight in the darkest part of the night in late July. Taking the red eye out is a good idea. That way you can sleep on the flight making it shorter.

Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
1,786 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Northwest Red eye flight out of Fairbanks back to St Paul...

I have flown the red-eye so often that it seems quite strange to fly out during the day. My obvious conclusion is sure, take the red eye!

However,this is probably the trip of a lifetime. It sounds like you will probably have already seen most all of what you wish around Fairbanks,but just in case you find something you wish to linger for, you should be sure to ersearch what a change in ticket might cost if there is some last treasure you want to see or experience. Then you can also consider the traveling style of your dad and if he likes to savor new things or will be anxious to return to the home and family with fish stories.

Flying east (going back home) will be a bit harder than flyins west to Alaska, and I do try to sleep on flights and usually do well. A few of my favorite trick are to ahve some soft ear plugs which are great for reducing jet noise, screaming kids or overhed speakers that blast you with announcements. A hat pulled down over the forehead may help to cut out extra light. Finally, there is the comfort of supporting the head while sleeping and relieving a stiff neck afterwards. I roll an airplane blanket (or jacket) into a long role and place it like a horse shoe over the neck. That works quite well and saves packing one of those commerical products.

3. Re: Northwest Red eye flight out of Fairbanks back to St Paul...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2009, 15:19