We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help/advice - one way car rental from Fairbanks to Seward

Columbia, SC
Level Contributor
18 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Help/advice - one way car rental from Fairbanks to Seward

My husband and I are going on the Celebrity Millenium Southbound from Seward on September 6. We have planned a land tour on our own for about 10 days before the cruise. Our flight lands in Fairbanks on August 28. We have reservations at many places (2 nights in Fairbanks, 2 nights just outside the entrance to Denali Park, one night in Anchorage, 2 nights on the ocean on the Kenai Peninsula, and 2 nights just outside of Seward). All of the accomodations, really perhaps other than Fairbanks and Anchorage, require a car. I have been looking and am shocked at the cost to rent a car one way from Fairbanks to Seward. Around $180 per day for the smallest car (Hertz seems to be the only company in Seward)! Does anyone have any suggestions regarding some other options? Thank you!

Karen in South Carolina

Chugiak, Alaska
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help/advice - one way car rental from Fairbanks to Seward

One way car rentals are very expensive up here- that's just facts. If you want more options, I'd look into renting from other places in Fairbanks and going only as far as Anchorage with the rental car, then grabbing the train down to Seward (if you can fit it into your schedule) or possibly a coach if that's faster or works better with your schedule. It gives you a lot more options than just Hertz, so might help some and you don't really need a car to get around Seward.

Chugiak, Alaska
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help/advice - one way car rental from Fairbanks to Seward

I just looked at Avis for a compact car from the 28th-the 4th (8 days) and it was only $600 to leave it in Anchorage. That's only $75 a day. Add in the train ride at $80/person and maybe a couple cabs in Seward to get to your lodging and you are still way better than you here. Here are the train fares:

alaskarailroad.com/travel/…Default.aspx

Columbia, SC
Level Contributor
18 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help/advice - one way car rental from Fairbanks to Seward

That is a great idea, thank you!

Columbia, SC
Level Contributor
18 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help/advice - one way car rental from Fairbanks to Seward

Thank you, excellent!

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,479 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help/advice - one way car rental from Fairbanks to Seward

The one-way car rental to Anchorage then the train might or might not work for you with your two nights on the ocean on the Kenai Peninsula, wherever that is. But in general, a one-way rental to Anchorage should be a lot cheaper. Also do research as to discount codes. Any organization you belong to or credit card you own probably is associated with some car rental discount code from one or more rental companies. Might be worth your time to check. Costco, Wal Mart and Sams Club also have their own discount codes, which you might be eligible for.

You will be at Denali NP right at the peak of the fall colors. I strongly suggest you book a shuttle bus to Wonder Lake on the full day in the park. You can always turn around at Eielson if you want, but if the weather is nice and you only book to Eielson, you might have a hard time finding a space on a Wonder Lake bus to upgrade to.

And don't be in a rush to get on the ship in Seward. Your first day after sailaway will be a sea day, or at least most of it will be (you will be at Hubbard Glacier but not until 2pm). Use that full sailaway day of Sep 6 to explore Seward. You can board the ship in time for dinner, plus you will avoid the crowds by checking in later in the day. Another option, which I did with Celebrity one time, was to check in about 11.30am right when the train arrived, get rid of my checked luggage, then explored Seward the rest of the day before boarding about 6pm.

Edited: 23 June 2013, 03:25
Columbia, SC
Level Contributor
18 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help/advice - one way car rental from Fairbanks to Seward

Thank you, excellent ideas!

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,219 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help/advice - one way car rental from Fairbanks to Seward

The best way would be to fly into Anchorage and rent a car there. Forget about Fairbanks and drive to Denali and back. Where are your ocean places on the Kenai Peninsula as our ocean is Cook Inlet between Kenai and Homer. Return your car in Anchorage. Take the train to Seward. But, if your arrangements are already booked, then that dropoff charge will be something you will have to live with.

Columbia, SC
Level Contributor
18 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help/advice - one way car rental from Fairbanks to Seward

We have already paid for the airplane tickets to fly into Fairbanks, and have paid for our accommodations all the way to Seward. We are staying at Cabins on the Bluff in Clam Gulch, on the Kenai Peninsula. I am currently thinking about renting a car in Fairbanks and dropping it off in Ancjorage, taking the train or a bus from anchorage to Seward, then renting another car for the 4 days we will be on the Kenai Peninsula prior to our cruise.

Edited: 23 June 2013, 17:22
Columbia, SC
Level Contributor
18 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help/advice - one way car rental from Fairbanks to Seward

Sorry for the typo: "Anchorage"!

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,581 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help/advice - one way car rental from Fairbanks to Seward

That's not a bad idea if it works out, just do the math. You could also see if OW from Anchorage to Seward is any more affordable OW, just check on and off airport prices. You will definitely need a car in Clam Gulch.

Edited: 23 June 2013, 17:45