We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arctic Circle Tours from Fairbanks

West Berlin, New...
Level Contributor
66 posts
109 reviews
Save Topic
Arctic Circle Tours from Fairbanks

We are planning on spending 2 days in Fairbanks in the 1st week

of August and I was wondering if anyone has done the 1 day Arctic

Circle tour. I hear its about 12-14 hrs roundtrip. I have 2 kids ages

8 and 11. I am wondering if this trip will be too long and boring for

them (or me for that matter). What do we see on this tour?

Northern Alaska Tour Company
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Alaska Aurora Adventures
Sightseeing Tours, Fishing Charters & Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
rochelle illinois
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Arctic Circle Tours from Fairbanks

My wife and I spent the last week in June 2006 in Alaska and we stayed in Fairbanks for 2 nights. We took the AC tour and we are glad we did it, but it is something you will do once and never again. Bring your camera and camcorder and enjoy every minute of it.

We think that flying from Fairbanks above the Circle and driving back is the way to do it. You spend one hour going north on a 9 passenger plane and about 7-8 hours coming back to Fairbanks on a 20-30 passenger bus. You stop at the AC and from then on about every 2-3 hours along the way. Most is gravel road and you will want to prepare yourself for road construction and plenty of bumps. Your children will get tired and they will find certain parts of the journey boring but they will appreciate the memories when they are older. We liked Northern Alaska Tours out of Fairbanks, they did a great job.

You will see the Alaska Pipeline, Coldfoot, Yukon River, lots of wilderness that consists of thin trees and rolling mountains, very little wildlife if any at all, you will walk on the tundra, get a picture and certificate at the AC, and that's about it. The adventure is what you will remember and not the scenery. Hope this helps.

Tek
Palm Desert...
Level Contributor
28 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arctic Circle Tours from Fairbanks

Have you considered one of the shorter trips to a village above the Arctic Circle? I flew to Fort Yukon. It's about an hour each way. You land and then do a school bus tour. We got off a couple of times and watched local children practice native dance. It's much shorter. I was gone about 4 hours. We flew low so you still see a lot.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
2,732 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arctic Circle Tours from Fairbanks

I'm going to do the Fly and Drive tour that mrkg mentioned. We were originally going to take the all day drive to the Arctic because I was uncertain of the small planes. However, after reading several posts that small aircraft were safer than larger planes, I decided to brave it. The Fly tour is more expensive, but I think it is worth the hours saved. Too bad Northern tours no longer offers the 2 for 1 tour coupons.

Thank you mrkg for the description of the tour. I knew that wildlife was not part of the expections, however just the thrill of traveling beyond the Arctic Circle is the attraction.

West Berlin, New...
Level Contributor
66 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arctic Circle Tours from Fairbanks

Thanks for the info mrkg. Since I didn't get any replies for a long time, I thought that no one would recommend this tour and I changed my plans to visit Fairbanks. Now we're spending some extra days in Denali instead. Since there isn't much wildlife and the trip is just too long for the kids, I think I made the right decision.

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
666 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Arctic Circle Tours from Fairbanks

Sorry, I have been gone. Well, the extra days in Denali certainly wont be wasted. Make sure you sign up for the Junior Ranger Program. Have fun!