We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Northern Lights

Melbourne, Australia
5 posts
Save Topic
Northern Lights

I am starting to plan a trip to Alaska and would like to know if the Northern Lights are visable from the Fairbanks area in late April.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,297 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Northern Lights

Sorry to disappoint you, but it's really not dark dark at night in April . . . and that would be a crummy time to see Alaska anyhow - it's right around breakup . . . so it's still snowy/muddy and nothing is really open for the season. The best time for Northern lights is during the deep of winter - Oct/Nov - Feb. Especially when it's clear and cold . . . . winter you will also find much cheaper rates on hotel rooms - 1/2 or more off the summer season. :)

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
666 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Northern Lights

Yep, Fairbanks in April = not so nice. It's our very worst month and I hate for tourists to come then lol.

Melbourne, Australia
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Northern Lights

Thanks for your help. Unfortunately I am only able to be in Alaska in April or May. I am planning to visit Denali National Park, Kenai National Park, Anchorage, Fairbanks and cruise between Seward and Vancouver ( I know this has to be in May) Could you give me some idea of how long I should spend in each area? Are the whales around at that time of the year?

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,297 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Northern Lights

Well, most places I would plan to stay at least a day or two - two would be best. If you could, do the cruise part first . . . .but things in Denali do not open prior to the middle of May - no services. You can often drive the part road (depending on road/weather conditions) into the Park, but that would be it or on your own two feet. April can still be very wintery up here . . . and other places in breakup, so I would not do April and if May is your only option, do it as late in the month as you can. It's just not green and pretty yet. I hope that makes sense. :)

Melbourne, Australia
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Northern Lights

Thanks for all your help. I am sure as I get closer to my travel time I will have a lot more questions.

6. Re: Northern Lights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2009, 20:19