We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Headed there alone to hunt big lights-Will anything kill me?

Level Contributor
76 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Headed there alone to hunt big lights-Will anything kill me?

No one can go so I'm going by myself, by golly. I don't want to miss the equinox in our solar max! Anyway, leaving 9/20 for four or five days. Staying at the Springhill Suites (because of Marriott points) and renting a pick up truck. I have big plans for big aurora but I wanted to know if someone had an opinion about going further toward Yukon to get directly under them. I don't want the hazy green city aurora, I want the best (trying to photograph them). I heard that the Yukon area is more directly under the aurora oval. I was in Yellowknife in March and was floored. Floored. Also, going way out by myself and not knowing anything about wildlife, etc., I wonder if anyone could give me a heads up on anything that kills a tourist, like bears or crazy mountain people. Had I tried to go out alone in Yellowknife in March I would have died. September is manageable, right? Thanks.

Level Contributor
76 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: Headed there alone to hunt big lights-Will anything kill me?

....and should I ever give it all up to raise Nickoli the Tour Guide's puppies, I will have a side business renting jeeps and mud vehicles to tourists, so they can really get around! It would make a fortune!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
21 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: Headed there alone to hunt big lights-Will anything kill me?

hey wouldlovetogo, thanks for the update! yeah, I was there for the whole week with no-show of the lights...the big show came on a day (last night actually) after I left! Boohoo... However I have same sentiments as you, the landscapes are all so beautiful! National Geographic galore! It already made up for that I missed out on the auroras. Met many interesting travellers and locals who shared tales of Alaska with us and I am hoping to go back again sometime again because I think there is so, so much more to Alaska that makes it so different for the other states I've been to thus far! Yea, do post pictures on some online photo community so we all can admire ;)

Edited: 02 October 2013, 21:43
NYC
Level Contributor
1,300 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: Headed there alone to hunt big lights-Will anything kill me?

In fairness, Wiseman is a lot more than "two rich doctors houses." I don't even know which houses the comment referred to. As a base (and Wiseman is VERY worth making a base for exploration of the area and Brooks Range), Igloo 8 a/k/a/ Arctic Getaway is about as perfect a guesthouse as there is. The family that lives there and runs it are great. It is also situated in the heart of the old town and on a river bank that makes spectacular foreground for shots of the aurora. Walking around by day, the many structures in a varied state of repair (and disrepair) are picturesque and make for wonderful photos. The cemetery (where Daniel Webster is buried for some odd reason), is cool to see, too. I particularly liked the massive iron machinery that has been left to the elements but which once served the gold mining efforts.

Frankly, if I were going to AK just to photograph aurora, making Wiseman a base of operations would be very high on the list of places to stay. Between the environs of the town itself and the proximity of the Brooks Range, you can get some wonderful shots. The challenge (well, one of the challenges) of good aurora photos is having a compelling landscape to anchor the shots. Wiseman and the surrounding areas provide just that.

Level Contributor
76 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
44. Re: Headed there alone to hunt big lights-Will anything kill me?

Did not mean to minimize Wiseman in any way. I agree, I would go back to that very spot for aurora for the exact reason of beautiful foreground scenes in the pictures. I have listed a few pics of the immense scenery, please see them under wiseman. Coldfoot, and northern Alaska tours reviews. I loved every inch of the place.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
45. Re: Headed there alone to hunt big lights-Will anything kill me?

Wouldlovetogo, your photos are magnificent & fall colors beautiful juxtaposed against the snow.

I've linked them here for easy access for others to enjoy.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60826-d67…

Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
1,794 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: Headed there alone to hunt big lights-Will anything kill me?

I usually don't come back to long threads but the way you posed your questions promised an interesting follow-up, and you certainly provided that!

Kyle10014 already provided good comments on Wiseman. All I could have added is that Wiseman and many other places have a LOT of houses and places out of sight. People who live there seem to like to be surrounded by wilderness and a bit removed from neighbors. Coldfoot sounded interesting I haven't seen the place for decades. However, you lucked out with Nickoli. Many times lady tourists are disappointed to find out the state is not full of brawny, handsome John Waynes, but wiry, scrawny types, effective but not pretty.

Getting on the flights you had is great! Glad to hear you lived it up to the fullest. Finally, the cracked windshield is pretty much an Alaskan tradition. As long as the crack doesn't interfere with your vision the police don't bother you. My car is 9 years old and has had a crack for 7 of those 9 years. Why replace it just to wait for the next crack? Strangely enough. British Columbia in Canada is toughest on windshield requirements and that is where the most rocks were tossed up by trucks to bounce off my windshield!

Thanks for an interesting report!

47. Re: Headed there alone to hunt big lights-Will anything kill me?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2014, 05:16