We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where does the Stresse Highway start?

Which Fairbanks hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
65 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where does the Stresse Highway start?

Looking at the car hire restrictions in Fairbanks. Most seem to have the Dalton Highway as off limits which is fine as I do not plan to go up that high. But would like to go to Fox and espically Cleary Summit. But they also list the Stresse Highway which looking at Google maps seesm to start in the middle of Fairbanks, but looking in Milepost would indicate that this starts at the juction with Fox and to get there by going on the Streese Express Way and not the Highway.

Grateful if some one is able to tell me which is correct, as not being able to get to Cleary Summit will give problems.

Thank you.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
10,445 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where does the Stresse Highway start?

I'd double check with the car rental company you are talking to regarding the "banned" portion of the Steese (no "r") Hwy. I'd bet they mean only the unpaved portion of the highway; which starts about 80 miles north-east of Fairbanks. I was on this road in September and the paved portion of the highway is very high quality and in great shape.

London
Level Contributor
65 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Where does the Stresse Highway start?

Thanks Sdpryde, will email them tonight.

3. Re: Where does the Stresse Highway start?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 November 2014, 05:17