We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cold weather boots/shoes for Fairbanks in March 2014

Which Fairbanks hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
cold weather boots/shoes for Fairbanks in March 2014

Was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for boots/shoes that me & my husband would need for our trip to Fairbanks in March 2014. We'll be there for a week, and will primarily be hoping to catch / photograph the aurora. We live in Melbourne, Australia .. so we're not used to walking on ice /show, or temperatures below 0C. Trying to do some research on the internet about what shoes/boots we'd need for our needs over in Fairbanks, but reviews have been mixed, and we're really getting quite confused on what to get. It would help for us to get it as correct as possible when we decide which shoes/ boots to purchase, as returning to get something else online would take some time .. and would cost quite a bit in shipping! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,132 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cold weather boots/shoes for Fairbanks in March 2014

I have Sorels' Snow Lions, rated to -40F which have served me well when traveling to Alaska in the winter and experiencing sub zero temps. I bought one pair locally, and another (a size larger to accommodate layers of socks) online via eBay.

Bridgewater
Level Contributor
798 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cold weather boots/shoes for Fairbanks in March 2014

Look for a 'Pac', 'Pack', 'Bunny', or 'Mushers' boot as just some of the terms used . Look for something that raises your foot off the ground and has removable liners. My Baffin boots are my favorite and I have been able to spend all day outside in negative temperatures very comfortably. I found that going a size up with heavy socks made we walk awkwardly and I did a lot of tripping. Most pack boots are made to accommodate a pair of heavy socks, but not 2 pairs. With the Baffins, I only use a smart wool liner sock. You should be able to find some good sales right now, and I know Baffins are sold in Europe and Asia, so maybe in Australia, too? I just bought a pair of Lands End Pack boots and they really aren't warm enough. Very cute and match my coat, so maybe I'll just keep them for warmer days, but not for AK.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cold weather boots/shoes for Fairbanks in March 2014

Thank you so much TimeshareVon & Turu! That really helps :)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cold weather boots/shoes for Fairbanks in March 2014

Thank you so much TimeshareVon & Turu! That really helps :)

5. Re: cold weather boots/shoes for Fairbanks in March 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 January 2015, 06:19