We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car rental and hotel

New York
Level Contributor
47 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
car rental and hotel

We are a family of four with a seven and eight year old traveling to Fairbanks on August 1st 2014. we are flying into Fairbanks on August 1st and will not arrive until 7pm. We are looking for an affordable hotel (preferably <10) that includes breakfast and will allow us to just crash. We would like transportation from the airport and plan on renting a car that next day. We plan on leaving Fairbanks on the 2nd. We are renting the car from Fairbanks and returning it to Seward on the 17th. Any suggestions on a place to stay for the night and how to get good rates on a car rental?

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,798 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car rental and hotel

I believe there is only one car company that is in Seward - Avis I believe. The best way to get a good rate is book early - like yesterday. However, one way car rentals are always more expensive - round trip from Anchorage is usually more cost effective.

Not sure what you mean by affordable hotel under 10? Maybe a typo and you mean under a $100 - sorry, there won't be any in the summer - most will be btw $130 - $200. Many do offer a free breakfast & transport to/from airport. Book early - hotels get booked up in the summer.

What is the rest of your itinerary like? :)

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,556 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car rental and hotel

The only option with a one-way rental from Fairbanks to Seward is Hertz and it will be incredibly expensive. Seek out any discount codes you might have access to - organizations you are associated with for example. I did a quick search and you are looking at about $2,000 for a 15 day car rental with those pick up and drop off stations. Ouch!

Yes, having an overview of your itinerary (please keep all your posts related to this trip here in this thread - don't start a new one!) will help us to help you better. We can offer suggestions on maybe how you can do better with other car rentals and such, for example.

I assume you are taking a cruise that departs from Seward. When do you plan to arrive in Seward and which date does the cruise depart?

Edited: 22 January 2014, 01:23
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
40,798 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car rental and hotel

Thanks for the correction fti! :)

New York
Level Contributor
47 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: car rental and hotel

Our plan is to leave Fairbanks on the 2nd, drive to Denali and stay for two or three nights (we still haven't decided). We are staying in Talkeetna for one night, then the Alyeska lodge for two nights. After that we plan on heading to Seward for two or three nights before our cruise leaves on the 10th.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: car rental and hotel

Do you already have your flights into Fairbanks booked?

New York
Level Contributor
47 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: car rental and hotel

We do. We fly in on August 1st, but do not arrive until 7 :30 PM

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
79 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: car rental and hotel

Hope you don't mind my butting in. We are flying in to Anchorage. We want to do a train trip to Fairbanks and a sail trip from Seward. Do we need to hire a car, or can we get around by public transport?

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
40,798 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: car rental and hotel

Suwillow - you would get more help if you start your own post. How many days do you have before sailing from Seward?

indiana
Level Contributor
143 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: car rental and hotel

Best deal for car rental: Get an Entertainment Book for the area that you live in. There are coupons in them for car rentals. I got the book for around $20. I booked an SUV for 16 day Fairbanks. with the coupon got the rental for less than half of the price original quoted without the coupon.

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,635 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: car rental and hotel

Is there a reason you are flying into Fairbanks, do you have any activities planned? Hertz will be your only option for car rental if you want to rent in Fairbanks and return in Seward. You could look into returning in Anchorage if you can't find a OW to Seward and then a train to Seward but that would mean you may have to change your Girdwood plans.

Edited: 02 February 2014, 23:28