We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling with family without a car

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling with family without a car

I am planning to travel to Fairbanks with my family (wife and son) in late March/early April during school spring vacation.We plan to stay for about 5 to 6 nights. I am not used to driving in the snow and it is our first time in Alaska so I am not planning to rent a car. Our primary goal is to see the Northern Lights. I am trying to decide whether to stay at the Mount Aurora Lodge or at the A Moose in the Garden Bed & Breakfast. Which one is in a better location that increases the chance of seeing the Northern Lights? Thank you very much for your advice. Also, hope you can give me advice on any activities we can do during the daytime.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,265 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling with family without a car

How do you plan to get to those accommodations if you aren't renting a car? Just curious.

Anywhere away from the lights of the city help when wanting to view the aurora.

What is the age of your son? Any particular interests?

This site may be helpful to you - for planning activities, etc. http://www.explorefairbanks.com/

I wouldn't miss the museum at the University - and the Ice art too. Good luck! :)

Edited: 31 January 2014, 23:49
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling with family without a car

Thanks for the reply. We plan to take a cab. My son is 13 and into sports.

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling with family without a car

Mt. Aurora Lodge is a great place to stay but a word of caution about taking a cab... Cabs in Fairbanks are expensive, and it is over 25 miles to get from the airport to the Lodge. Also, when you are ready to go back to the airport you may not be able to get a cab to go out that far to pick you up. I would recommend talking with the proprietors at the lodge and seeing if they have any alternate transportation suggestions.

You are coming up to visit at a great time of year. Have a great trip!

Peter

Alaska Auto Rental

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,427 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling with family without a car

I cant see how you will be able to do much staying that far out of the city without a car except of course wait and hope for the northern lights to appear.

Chugiak, Alaska
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling with family without a car

I agree with Peter- talk to the owners about transportation.

Looks like the Mt Aurora Lodge has picked up other people from the train station/other F'banks locations. If that place has a kitchen you can cook in (maybe you could get a cab to the grocery store and have them pick you up from there) or cooks meals, then you have less reason to go back to Fairbanks each day. They apparently have skiing equipment that they loan out, too.

When I did a couple tours in Fairbanks, the folks picked me up at my hotel and brought me back there. I'm sure they charge more for that, but if the extra cost is worth not having to drive in snow, then there you go.

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,099 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling with family without a car

My opinion again, but if your sole purpose for coming to Alaska is to see the northern lights, you could be disappointed. They are not a sure thing. And, would seriously consider renting a car as rather difficult moving about without one. As for driving in snow it is common sense (don't drive too fast and don't follow too close and don't jam on the brakes). Test drive around the parking lot if necessary

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling with family without a car

Thanks, everyone for your advice. I might rent a car after all. Looking forward to visiting Fairbanks very soon.

Edited: 02 March 2014, 14:01
8. Re: Travelling with family without a car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 March 2015, 07:16