We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions abt Fairbanks

Which Fairbanks hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Level Contributor
43 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Questions abt Fairbanks

Hello forum experts, we will be travelling to US next month and will be stopping by Fairbanks for 5nights to catch the aurora. We are really excited and its our first time here! Hence.. There's a few qns which we hope you guys can advise us on:

1) we know the weather will be very cold.. But will it be very dry? I read up few websites on the humidity level is about 70%, and we dont really understand that percentage.

2) there will be snow and ice.. We have bought shoes for winter, just wondering if we need some metal strap to be tied around the shoes to prevent falling down?

Thanks in advance!! :)

Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
5,290 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions abt Fairbanks

Fairbanks does tend to be a dry cold.

A lot of people use strap on ice gripping things to help with the ice. You can see what I mean by doing a search on Amazon for "ice grippers" . Yaktrax is a popular brand.

Edited: 17 February 2014, 17:25
Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,506 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions abt Fairbanks

It can be very dry and if you are subject to any type of nasal issues you may want to pick up a bottle of saline nose spray. I needed to use it to avoid bloody noses in the winter months.

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
8,780 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions abt Fairbanks

They are also referred to as stablizers and strap over your shoes. Kind of hard to put them on and take them off iif have trouble bending over. Some establishments may not care for you to wear them inside. To be honest, there are times when I had them on I was glad I did. Shoes with cleats also helps if you don't have the stablizers.

The weather at Fairbanks will be colder than the rest of Alaska as ir is in the interior. As your visit is March expect cold weather anywhere. We hope to keep ours for awhile

Edited: 17 February 2014, 17:42
Singapore
Level Contributor
43 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions abt Fairbanks

Thanks all for the useful advise! we are really excited!!!

what's the estimate temperature over at fairbanks now?

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,426 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions abt Fairbanks

I live not far from Fairbanks and our temps have been btw -15F and -25F below zero the past few days.

Do plan to drink lots of water - it is very dry here, even if it snows. :)

This site tends to be somewhat accurate in weather:

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=Fairbanks%2C+Alaska

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
1,522 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Questions abt Fairbanks

Greetings from Fairbanks! March is a fantastic time to come here. Normally March days are not that cold. The nights still get cold and dry but the skys are normally nice clear. As for the wearing of ice grips on your shoes, that is not a bad idea if you are not used to walking ice. However you should take them of at the entrance to any building. They are a bit noisy and can ruin a floor. Not many folks up here bother with them. Also when walking keep your hands out of your pockets in case you do fall. I hope you see the lights and enjoy your stay in Fairbanks.

Singapore
Level Contributor
43 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Questions abt Fairbanks

Thanks all for the replies.

And we are counting down to the trip!!!

8. Re: Questions abt Fairbanks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 February 2015, 05:18