We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendations for our Stay in Fairbanks (3/29 to 4/5)

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
146 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Recommendations for our Stay in Fairbanks (3/29 to 4/5)

We arrive in Fairbanks the afternoon on March 29th and leave in the early morning on April 5th. The purpose of our trip is to see the lights. We will be staying at Mount Aurora Lodge at Clearly Summit for the entire time. We are renting a 4x4 SUV. There will be 4 of us traveling my husband, me and our 2 girls who are 5 and 8 years old.

I like to learn about the culture and people when we visit places. We like the outdoors. Since our girls are young, we are looking for more experiences so they will have a better chance of remembering the trip. Here are some things we are considering and would love any thoughts and advice.

Ice Sculpture Contest:

We would like to see the ice sculpturing competition on Sunday, March 30th. Hopefully the ice sculptures will still be there.

Ice Fishing:

We are also considering doing some ice fishing. My husband fishes, but we never been ice fishing. It would be nice if we could have a guide since we won't know what we will be doing. It can be pricey for trips where you actually eat what you catch. We won't want to eat the fish and really just want to try it out for the experience. Are there any companies/tours that may be more reasonable? I don't need to fish and just want to watch.

Museum - Thought we would go to U of Alaska Fairbanks museum?

Dog Sledding - Any recommendations for good companies?

Denali - It would be wonderful to go here, but I think it would be a 3 hour trip there and back and thinking that it may not be worth it due to the uncertainty of the road conditions and there isn't much open at this time anyway.

Any other suggestions? We aren't planning to go to North Pole, AK or to the hot springs.

Thank you so much in advance.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,139 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommendations for our Stay in Fairbanks (3/29 to 4/5)

>>>Dog Sledding - Any recommendations for good companies?<<<

I would recommend Muzzy's Place: http://www.muzzysplace.net/ . They are just north of Fairbanks in Two Rivers.

I would still try to go to Denali as it is very pretty and you may see some wildlife.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
146 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommendations for our Stay in Fairbanks (3/29 to 4/5)

Thank you. I heard that they were good from someone else, so it is reassuring.

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommendations for our Stay in Fairbanks (3/29 to 4/5)

If you go to the Museum at the University of Alaska Fairbanks with your kids, be sure to check out the Children's Museum that is housed there during the winter months. It has all kinds of activities geared toward younger children. While not very "Alaskany" it is very fun for the kids and is definitely worth stopping in if you are already going to the museum anyway. Check out their website for additional details about their offerings:

http://www.fairbankschildrensmuseum.com/

Have a great trip!

Peter

Alaska Auto Rental

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
146 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommendations for our Stay in Fairbanks (3/29 to 4/5)

I didn't know about the children's activities at the museum. Thanks for the tip!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
146 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommendations for our Stay in Fairbanks (3/29 to 4/5)

Thank you very much! We just got back and loved the dog mushing at Muzzy's place! We went to the ice museum, but our kids enjoyed the "ice rink" more at Chena hot springs. We went to denali national park and went to the ice sculpturing contest. It is so helpful to get feedback on trip advisor. Thank you!

Poughkeepsie, NY
Level Contributor
184 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommendations for our Stay in Fairbanks (3/29 to 4/5)

How was the weather? We are going next week!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,265 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recommendations for our Stay in Fairbanks (3/29 to 4/5)

It is supposed to warm up some . . . the past few days, it has been around -10 to -15 at night, warming to the 20's in the day - I live just a few hours south of Fairbanks and of temps are close to the same. :)

Poughkeepsie, NY
Level Contributor
184 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Recommendations for our Stay in Fairbanks (3/29 to 4/5)

Thanks for the info coalminer. We have just started to creep into the 60s here, so I guess I will make sure to bring my winter coat ; )

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,265 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Recommendations for our Stay in Fairbanks (3/29 to 4/5)

I did just hear it is supposed to be in the 50's by the weekend - and the key to travel in Alaska is layers! Have fun! :)

10. Re: Recommendations for our Stay in Fairbanks (3/29 to 4/5)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 April 2015, 05:15