We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Motorhome Rental to drive Dalton Highway??

Katikati, New...
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Motorhome Rental to drive Dalton Highway??

Hi there,

We are planning a trip to Alaska in 2015 with a group of 6 other couples from New Zealand and we are wanting to hire motorhomes to see the sights.

One of things we all want to do is drive the Dalton Highway to Deadhorse and then spend two or so weeks travelling back down towards Fairbanks stopping where ever takes our interest.

So far I am having no luck finding a motorhome rental company keen to hire motorhomes to us to travel up this road? I understand its a gravel road, can be muddy and can have a lot of trucks on it etc but that really does not worry us.

Does anyone know if you can obtain Insurance from an outside company to cover the motorhome for these two weeks?

Many thanks and look forward to receiving any information you think may be helpful :-)

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
New York
Level Contributor
3,404 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Motorhome Rental to drive Dalton Highway??

None, of the major RV rental companies, allow you to drive the Dalton Highway. You may want to see if any "secondary" company is available for a rental. This is a drive that is more, than you being "OK" with it.

There is no way, you would be spending 2 weeks on it either, I would speculate? A couple days is the usual transit.

As for insurance, be very careful, especially with the gravel roads. Have it in writing that this drive would be covered. Take photos before you leave the lot.

Frankly, I doubt you are going to be able to find a rental. It's difficult enough to find a rental car for the Dalton. Again, with the same insurance restrictions and concerns. IF a priority, then I suggest you just rent a car, and plan your overnights in Deadhorse, and Coldfoot. Wiseman could also be considered.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Motorhome Rental to drive Dalton Highway??

"One of things we all want to do is drive the Dalton Highway toDeadhorse and then spend two or so weeks travelling back down towards Fairbanks stopping where ever takes our interest."

- I took a week to drive the Dalton Hwy in 2007. It's a great trip and if I had more time available, I would have used it. There's great hikes and spectacular scenery. I highly encourage it as an adventure, BUT:

*** DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE THE CARE/CAUTION ONE MUST TAKE IN DOING THIS DRIVE. THIS DRIVE SHOULD BE HIGHLY RESPECTED ***

"So far I am having no luck finding a motorhome rental company keen to hire motorhomes to us to travel up this road?"

- You will have difficulty finding rentals for this road, but they do exist. Start with this URL: fairbanks-alaska.com/car-rentals-fairbanks.h… , You will not likely find motorhomes; but more than likely you will find pick-up trucks with campers on them.

"I understand its a gravel road, can be muddy and can have a lot of trucks on it etc but that really does not worry us."

- it is not just gravel, it has many different surfaces (and any of the varied surfaces can be pretty bad or very good at seemingly random times). The road and driving conditions are not intended for the public/tourism; it is intended for use by professional haulers and the road conditions and their loads dictate how they have to drive. One really needs to be aware/respectful of them while on the road.

Good luck & please update this thread with any successes you have in finding a rental. That would be valuable information for future readers/posters.

Mentioned in this post
Armada, Michigan
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Motorhome Rental to drive Dalton Highway??

We are leaving for three weeks in Alaska tomorrow. We have Frankenmuth Car Insurance which will cover the motor home for any damage while we are gone. The cost of the insurance is $32.00. Try calling you insurance company to see if they will do the same for you. Good luck.

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
16,602 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Motorhome Rental to drive Dalton Highway??

Hi peg-ken.

Are the RV rental company comfortable with you taking their vehicle on the Dalton?

If the rental agreement forbids it will your insurance still payout, and what about Third Party Liabilities etc, it's not just damage to the vehicle to consider, and that is where the big money is say if you cause an accident or someone gets injured?

It may be all covered, but I have heard of people having difficulties where they have breached a rental agreement, and hoped their own insurance will still stand................insurance companies love small print.

Julian, North...
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Motorhome Rental to drive Dalton Highway??

We rented a truck camper from Go North out of Fairbanks.They allow travels on the Dalton.They have all sizes of truck campers.Great people!

6. Re: Motorhome Rental to drive Dalton Highway??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 November 2014, 23:32
Edited: 21 November 2014, 23:32
Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Motorhome Rental to drive Dalton Highway??

Catherine443,

It looks like my original message got flagged as self-advertising and was removed. Hopefully this one won't encounter the same issue. We are not affiliated or associated with any RV rental companies, but we have had customers in the past who have rented RVs from Adventures in Alaska RV Rentals (www.adventuresakrv.com). Hopefully they will be able to assist you with your request. I'd be happy to discuss more about travel options and considerations for your trip with you. But I don't want to add too much information to this message or else someone may go overboard and flag it for advertising again :)

There are many things to see and experience when traveling the Dalton Highway. I hope your group has a great trip!

-Peter

Alaska Auto Rental

(NOTE: We are not affiliated or associated in any way with the RV rental company listed above... just trying to help provide useful information for someone planning their trip.)

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Whitehorse
Level Contributor
972 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Motorhome Rental to drive Dalton Highway??

Well, if you rent an RV, at least you're not likely to bring business to some IN YOUR FACE car rental outfits whose owner could at least TRY to give usefull information instead of simply PLUGING their business.

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Motorhome Rental to drive Dalton Highway??

Etrefal,

If your comment is a reference to the content of my post please accept my sincere apologies as I did not intend to offend you, but rather to provide useful information that was an answer to the original poster's question... information which nobody else had yet provided.

The importance of proper advance research and planning for a trip throughout Alaska cannot be understated. In the end, the most important thing is that each traveler has the best trip possible. As such, whether or not a traveler decides to utilize our company, we are always happy to hear of their travel plans and provide any information we may have available or can find that may help them successfully complete their trip plans.

Traveling the Dalton Highway is a trip that should not be under planned. Travelers can choose to traverse the Dalton Highway by rental RV, rental car, tour, flight, shuttle van, or rental motorcycles. While the only option that we are associated with is rental cars, we have found that it is important to provide travelers with information about alternate options that may be applicable for their purposes/itinerary so that they can make travel plans that best fit their own trip goals and priorities. Sometimes when travelers tell us about their plans and goals for their trip, we recognize that their preferences and priorities will be better accomplished by another means of transportation and we will specifically suggest alternate options that will be a better fit for them. When a traveler ends up with the most enjoyable trip possible (regardless of whether they utilize our services) we have accomplished our goal... a happy traveler!

Happy travels,

-Peter

Alaska Auto Rental

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Motorhome Rental to drive Dalton Highway??

I can't disagree that a traveler must not underestimate the importance of preparation for a trip on the Dalton; but I can completely see Etrefal's point in eliminating self-promotion (which is against TA policy). Several regular TA posters "sign-off" after their post with what I feel is an appropriate identifier of them being a AK business owner, but they don't go so far as to have their company name as their TA name or incorporate an icon which is a corporate logo , or seemingly resurrect several obsolete posts so readers can see the corporate name many times from the front page of the forum.

Just my opinion, but I feel a more genuine poster may change the TA name and icon so as not force readers to see the corporate entity.