We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New years eve in Fairbanks

Which Fairbanks hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Anchorage
4 posts
Save Topic
New years eve in Fairbanks

Hi, I have my parents from Germany coming to Alaska after Christmas. i decided to get them also to the area of Fairbanks and the days around New Years Eve are the only ones I have. So is there any thing to do at New Years Eve, any party going on and i it allowed to do fireworks?

Thanks

Kerstin

Anchorage
4 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: New years eve in Fairbanks

Is there really no one who can help me out?

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
666 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: New years eve in Fairbanks

Sorry I'm late in responding Kerstin. Yes there are New Year's Eve parties going on every where as well as a big fireworks show put on by the University. I believe they normally start at 9:00 so if you park anywhere on the west end of town you'll be able to see them. You will see people parked all over even on the highway overpasses. Bring a thermos of hot chocolate.

Have fun.

Anchorage
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: New years eve in Fairbanks

Hi, finally got my computer back!

Thank you 1stimestar for your answer. We are already excited!

But as we are are european people and used to have fireworks at midnight and to do it by ourselves - I know in Anchorage it is not allowed to do so- is it the same in Fairbanks or can I just go outside in a wide area and shoot my own stuff in the air?

Thanks so much

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
666 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: New years eve in Fairbanks

Here in Fairbank you can buy them and go outside the city limits to set them off. Lots of people do but since it is cold it is nice to sit in your warm car and watch as THEY shoot them off. You can't buy the big kinds here either.

Anchorage
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: New years eve in Fairbanks

Thank you, 1stimestar. i appreciate your fast answer.

Happy Holidays!

K

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
15 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New years eve in Fairbanks

1stimestar is correct, there will be fireworks on the west side of town around 9pm. The Museum of the North will also be open/free from 7-9 tomorrow night. They'll have cookies and cocoa too. I've heard that parking is impossible after 6pm so if you plan on going, get there early.

If you're looking for a party, The Blue Loon is having the Exotic Erotic Masquerade Ball starting at 8pm.

I moved to Fairbanks in November and will miss the German new year celebrations. Our neighbors would always start shooting fireworks off around 11. We'd huddle together in the street sharing wine, sekt, and beer...

7. Re: New years eve in Fairbanks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2009, 10:23