We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Brooklyn for solo female

Wollongong...
Level Contributor
20 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay in Brooklyn for solo female

I am a 45 year old (youngish)experienced independent traveller coming to NYC for 8 days in Sept. I already have accommodation booked in the East Village, but was thinking of spending 2 days in Brooklyn rather than just travel there. I like to soak up the atmosphere of a place rather than just do the tourist sites. I originally thought of staying in Williamsburg for easy access to cafés. The only hotel I found was Hotel Le Jolie which is slightly over priced for me. I have seen some quaint looking b and bs on the net, but I can't decide on an area. Would Carrol Gardens, Park Slope etc be better than Williamsburg? I want be be able to walk to interesting bars and cafés safely at night. I know Brooklyn is huge. I won't be sightseeing in Manhattan those 2 days, but somewhere with good transportation around Brooklyn would be great.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
22,089 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in Brooklyn for solo female

Try re-posting to the New York City forum. The Brooklyn sub-forum doesn't get as much attention.

Or maybe this response will bump it up enough to start getting responses.

Since budget is a factor, include exact dates (prices fluctuate) and target budget per night. Brooklyn can have some bargains, but hotels in the most interesting areas could be pricey in September (as you've discovered).

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in Brooklyn for solo female

Park Slope/Carroll Gardens/Boerum Hill and the Downtown Brooklyn area also good choices. Loads of bars/restaurants/cafés in those areas. And yes, they are safe.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,590 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in Brooklyn for solo female

Many of those "quaint B&Bs" are really just illegal apartment rentals. Check here before you decide to book anything. I would recommend one of the hotels on Duffield Street or around 4th Ave and Butler Street.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,158 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in Brooklyn for solo female

Hotel Le Jolie is a great hotel, and the cheapest in Williamsburg. The other options there are Wythe Hotel, and King & Grove Williamsburg.

Other Hotels around Union Avenue in Park Slope may be more affordable.

M

New York City
Level Contributor
965 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in Brooklyn for solo female

really, from the east village to brooklyn is very simple - just a few minutes to Williamsburg if you're close to the L train, and not far at all to other parts on the R, 4, 5. staying out in the East Village might be as pleasant and easy as moving hotels.

Getting between far-flung brooklyn neighborhoods sometimes involves taking trains into manhattan as well.

Wollongong...
Level Contributor
20 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay in Brooklyn for solo female

Thank you everyone for this. It's a great help.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
7 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay in Brooklyn for solo female

It's kind of sad reading about all of these hotels that are rated as the "best in Brooklyn" but truthfully they all seem to be located in a neighborhood in which I would consider to be the middle of nowhere. As a lifelong resident I can tell you that if you want to visit Williamsburg (which if you are a tourist is where you would like to go) there are only two good hotels in walking distance from bars, restaurants, subway, shops, taxi's etc. The Wythe Hotel and the King & Grove. My understanding is that they are both not inexpensive. If you choose anywhere else, be prepared to travel. Both of these hotels are in a very safe neighborhood. If these two options are a little more than you would like to spend, the epicenter of the neighborhood revolves around the "Bedford Avenue" subway stop located on Bedford Avenue and North 7th street so if you can find that intersection on a map you can triangulate how far away you may be willing to stay.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,590 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay in Brooklyn for solo female

Brooklyn Heights is "the middle of nowhere?"

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
7 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay in Brooklyn for solo female

Brooklyn Heights is great if you want to go to a bar where everyone thinks its just fine to take your teething baby with you. As a tourist on my own in New York, I would be bored to death in "nuclear family" Brooklyn Heights. Get over yourself. I was referring to the #1 and #2 hotels which are both in the middle of nowhere.

10. Re: Where to stay in Brooklyn for solo female

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 25 March 2014, 23:35