We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Red hook Cruise Terminal to LaGuardia Airport

Which Brooklyn hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
cheshire
Level Contributor
148 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Red hook Cruise Terminal to LaGuardia Airport

Hi Couple of questions would I make a 10.45 am flight from LaGuardia Airport if I left Brooklyn/Red hook Cruise terminal at 8.30 am? I know New York City can get busy. I have used Dial 7 and Carmel in the past from Red hook to Newark done it in about 35 minutes same time leaving Red hook. I recall several tolls on way to Newark any on the way to LaGuardia Airport?

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,643 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Red hook Cruise Terminal to LaGuardia Airport

No. It's mostly a one-highway, no toll, no tunnel or bridge (well, the highway itself is elevated, and you do take a second highway for about 2 miles) ride from the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal to LGA. But it is a main truck route from south of Manhattan and southern New Jersey to Queens and the Bronx and eastern Long Island (because trucks can't legally go on many of NYC's highways, and hate the tunnels into Manhattan.

So it's a thirteen mile ride, approximately zero traffic lights (after you go that first 3/4 to the highway). In absolutely no traffic, it could take 18 minutes, but that is unlikely. It could take an hour or 1.25 hours if you are unlucky. (The speed limit is 50 mph, and during a weekday it is rarely that fast.)

The bigger problem is that you need to be at LGA about 75-90 minutes before your flight leaves, which means you need to be there by about 9:20. The odds of getting those 13 miles (+ loading luggage + unloading luggage + the driver might not find you immediately, and you can't rush him and make him nervous, and you have to pay him and figure out the tip) in 50 minutes are very slim UNLESS it's a Sunday morning. I would get the next flight out to wherever you are going, like a 12 noon or 1 PM plane. It's unlikely to be that you are going to Cheshire, since LGA has no flights to Europe, if I remember right :^)

The security people at American airports will never be rushed, and the more hurried you seem, the more unhurried they get.

Finally, notice that I said Sunday MORNING, because by 1 PM on Sunday, it's as packed with people going places as ever.

Edited: 27 May 2014, 21:42
cheshire
Level Contributor
148 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Red hook Cruise Terminal to LaGuardia Airport

Thanks northofDC for your reply you are correct in what you say 'It's unlikely to be that you are going to Cheshire, since LGA has no flights to Europe, if I remember right :^)' I will have gone thru US immigration at the Brooklyn cruise terminal. I will catching a domestic flight to my onward destination, however I will consider a later flight. I will be arriving midweek thus take into account traffic conditions.

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Red hook Cruise Terminal to LaGuardia Airport

We will be docking 7:30 AM at Red Hook cruise terminal in September and will be flying out of La Guardia at 11:35. Can you suggest a reliable shuttle transport to take us to the airport? Many thanks

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,643 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Red hook Cruise Terminal to LaGuardia Airport

I personally would vote for a taxi. You know there are going to be 10s of them there waiting for you. It's a 15 mile drive, so it will cost a grand total of $45. If there's no traffic, it takes 25 minutes. If there's traffic, it could take 50-60 minutes; you'll be fine. The entire trip is by an Interstate highway, so it's either the speed limit (50 mph) or 20 mph.

With a car service if they are late, that's not good. If you are late getting off (4000 or more people can't all get off on the dot at 0730), also not good. A taxi is always right there ready to go. NYC is a real taxi city. It's why less than half the people in the city need to own cars.

Edited: 21 July 2014, 02:10
5. Re: Red hook Cruise Terminal to LaGuardia Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 July 2015, 05:15