We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking Brooklyn Bridge

new york
2 posts
Save Topic
Walking Brooklyn Bridge

I'm seeing a Cirque du Soleil show at the Barclays Center, but thought I could spend the day-walk the BB to Manhattan and perhaps back, eat at Grimaldis and then see the show. QUESTIONS: Which is the best subway to the BB from Barclays Center? If I don't want to walk back from Manhattan, which is the best subway back to Brooklyn...around Grimaldis? Lastly, any other recommendations if Grimaldis is packed? Thanks!

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,534 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking Brooklyn Bridge

I am not sure what you are tlaking about, because the Barclays Center IS in Brooklyn. Is Cirque du Soleil in the afternoon or in the evening?

Why are you going TO the Brooklyn Bridge from the Barclays Center?

Here is useful info:

Barclays Center is at the "Atlantic Avenue" station (in Brooklyn) of the B,D,N,Q,R,2,3,4,5 trains, and the "Lafayette Avenue" station of the C train (the A skips this station) , and the "Fulton St." station of the G train..

The Brooklyn end of the Brooklyn Bridge is right at the "High Street" station of the A and C trains.

The Manhattan end of the Brooklyn Bridge station is right at the "Brooklyn Bridge-City Hall" Station of the 4,5,6,J trains and pretty close to "Park Place" on the 2 and 3.

The #5 train does not go into Brooklyn on weekends, just the #4.

Grimaldi's is under the Brooklyn Bridge about 1/4 miles under it from the "High St" station of the A and C trains. I have never NOT seen a line in front. New York probably has about 10,000 other pizza places that are nearly as good, and more of a NYC experience. Grimaldi's might be good, but New Yorkers hardly every go there (how can 8,000,000 people fit in one restaurant? :^)

To get a nice view from the Promenade, see great brownstones that make Greenwich Village look shabby, and to see a lot of nice restaurants (and some pizza places) and stores in Brooklyn Heights, the nicest part of NYC in my opinion, get off the 2,3,4,5 train at Borough Hall (or Clark St from the 2,3), find Montague Street, and walk around the commercial street and all the residential side streets, then go along the waterfront (the Promenade), and get to the Brooklyn Bridge that way.

Here is a subway map (everything you are asking about is in the part of Brooklyn near the lower top of Manhattan):

http://web.mta.info/nyct/maps/subwaymap.pdf

Here is a downtown Brooklyn map:

…downtownbrooklyn.com/maps/DB-Map-2013.pdf

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking Brooklyn Bridge

Wow...that is a lot of walking. Many ways to do what you want...here are a few(depending on the day of the week):

**Which is the best subway to the BB from Barclays Center?**

-You can walk to Lafayette Avenue and take the C train to High Street.

**f I don't want to walk back from Manhattan, which is the best subway back to Brooklyn...around Grimaldis?**

-4 or 5 train from Brooklyn Bridge stop to Fulton Street. Transfer there for the A or C train to High Street.

**Lastly, any other recommendations if Grimaldis is packed?**

-Right in that area? Shake Shack. Juliana's(pizza) next door.

Edited: 17 July 2014, 16:55
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
Level Contributor
1,899 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking Brooklyn Bridge

Go to City Hall and walk the Brooklyn Bridge to Brooklyn from there. Explore DUMBO. Walk to Barclays Center (kind of far).

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
902 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking Brooklyn Bridge

Don't go to Grimaldi's. Its a poor facsimile of what it used to be. Go to Julianna's which is in the original Grimaldi's (nee Patsy's) space and run by Patsy Grimaldi.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking Brooklyn Bridge

Whatever you do...don't wait on line for pizza in NYC....

6. Re: Walking Brooklyn Bridge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 July 2015, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Brooklyn
Recent Conversations