We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mea Shearim in Brooklyn, NY

Which Brooklyn hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
8 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Mea Shearim in Brooklyn, NY

This is where the American version of Mea Shearim is.

One of my friends visited this neighborhood, and found mostly parents with large families with baby carriages. Like Catholics, they don't practice birth control, and they practice gender segregation, like in the Orthodox Synagogues.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,069 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Mea Shearim in Brooklyn, NY

What?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
Level Contributor
1,877 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mea Shearim in Brooklyn, NY

Borough Park and South Williamsburg are the Hasidic neighborhoods in Brooklyn.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,069 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Mea Shearim in Brooklyn, NY

Two of them, anyway. But none of the rest of this is true or makes any sense. "Dont practice birth control" my foot.

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,348 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mea Shearim in Brooklyn, NY

There are mainly three Hasidic neighborhoods in Brooklyn, Borough Park (near the 55th St station on the D train), South Williamsburg (south of Broadway near Marcy Avenue station of the J and M trains), and Crown Heights (Kington Avenue of the 3, and Utica Avenue of the 3 and 4 trains).

The way they practice my religion is to adhere very closely to the 613 Commandments of the Bible. It is not true that "they" don't practice birth control. They actually WANT many children. Everything done is to fulfill a Commandment. You singled out a couple of visible practices, and mischaracterized them somewhat.

Note that those communities are not a NYC attraction, but people practicing a somewhat different way of life from others. None of the Chasidim expect you to do what they are doing; they live their lives; you live yours.

And those communities have been here for about 100 years, longer than there has been a modern Israel. I would say the the Israeli community of Mea Shearim is patterned after or similar to Williamsburg Brooklyn, the reverse of what you said.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,069 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Mea Shearim in Brooklyn, NY

I just don't understand the purpose of this post. It makes no sense, and isn't informative or helpful in any way. What was its purpose?

6. Re: Mea Shearim in Brooklyn, NY

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 July 2015, 05:17