We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Village Inn at Apgar vs. McDonald Lodge

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
176 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Village Inn at Apgar vs. McDonald Lodge

I understand there are no "rooms with a view" at McDonald Lodge because of foliage but there are views from rooms at the Village Inn. What are traveler's opinions about the overall plusses/minuses of staying at these places?

Gardiner, Montana
Level Contributor
106 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Village Inn at Apgar vs. McDonald Lodge

I haven't actually stayed at Lake McDonald or Village Inn, but I do love Lake McDonald Lodge and stop in for a visit every time I'm in Glacier (we usually stay at Many Glacier) but if I ever stay on the west side of the park it will definitely be at Lake McDonald Lodge. Also, while the views aren't there from the rooms, it is only a hop and skip from the door down to the lake.

When I travel to national parks or any other "outdoor" destination, I almost always lean towards staying in the historic lodges regardless of their views. While of course a view is a great bonus, my thinking is that since I will be out playing in the park most of the day when it is light out and I would see the view, I'll pass up the view in favor of having the beautiful and historic indoor surroundings when it comes time for a glass of wine, and lounge chair and good book to end the day :)

indiana
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
3,165 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Village Inn at Apgar vs. McDonald Lodge

I was very disappointed with our room at Lake McDonald, but it was a few years ago. More recently we stayed at Village Inn and all the rooms are lake facing and just a few steps to the water. I would stay at Village Inn again without hesitation. Rooms are dated, sparse, but very, very clean. Lake McDonald Lodge we had no view, extremely small room and it was dirty. I like the historic lodges also, but would stop at Lake McDonald for a meal, not overnight.

Edited: 26 December 2012, 20:54
Mahtomedi, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
2,054 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Village Inn at Apgar vs. McDonald Lodge

my vote is for the Village Inn. Can't beat the view and although it may lack the charm of Lake McDonald Lodge, it has a charm of it's own being just steps from the lake. I agree with hikes. Stop there for a meal or beverage. food is the best of all the lodges.

Spokane, Washington
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park, Spokane
Level Contributor
3,218 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Village Inn at Apgar vs. McDonald Lodge

Agree with the two above with an additional note. Yes, the rooms are very old style, but setting unbeatable. The other option is the Apgar Village Lodge, immediately behind the Village Inn where you have the option of a small cabin with cooking facilities and the option of a cabin overlooking McDonald Creek. These are old and rustic, but have a charm and are 50 yards from the views of the Village Inn.

As for dining, Lake McD Lodge is an option, but that close to the West Glacier entrace, I would vote for Belton Chalet for a nice meal.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
176 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Village Inn at Apgar vs. McDonald Lodge

Thanks for the timely and helpful input. I decided to switch from Lake McDonald Lodge to the Village Inn. Since we also have reservations for Many Glacier, Prince of Wales and Glacier Park Lodge, we'll have other opportunities for an historic lodge experience.

Spokane, Washington
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park, Spokane
Level Contributor
3,218 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Village Inn at Apgar vs. McDonald Lodge

Nicely done, you have some great locations reserved.

7. Re: Village Inn at Apgar vs. McDonald Lodge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 March 2014, 11:15