We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Late 50s couple want scenery over hiking

Which West Glacier hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
North Carolina USA
Level Contributor
1,347 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
Late 50s couple want scenery over hiking

My husband is not an avid walker. I walk 45 minutes each day. We would like to stay for 4 nights in a very nice hotel with fantastic scenery. Just starting to think about a July 2015 trip. Where to stay? I would love a boat trip and scenic drives. Maybe short hikes to waterfalls.

indiana
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
2,946 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Late 50s couple want scenery over hiking

Many Glacier hotel offers great views from a lakeside room, but in park offers few amenities. Swiftcurrent trail nearby offers three lakes and a waterfall in about six miles with little elevation change. GTTSR across the park also has St. Mary/ Virginia falls trail and is a great drive. Boat trips on all the lakes. Of course this is all if you are interested in Glacier Park.

NJ
Level Contributor
1,461 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Late 50s couple want scenery over hiking

You might also want to check out Banff, Alberta. Don't know your budget but Chateau Lake Louise rivals the Many Glacier Hotel setting. the price difference is very large though, the Chateau is very pricey. You might also consider Yellowstone, Old Faithful Lodge is very cool. Also the Mammoth Hot Springs Area. Regardless, Glacier is my favorite. You can get great views, short walks, and a boat ride at the back of the hotel. good luck

North Carolina USA
Level Contributor
1,347 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Late 50s couple want scenery over hiking

Thank you. You said "you can get views.... At the back of the hotel". Which hotel did you mean?

North Carolina USA
Level Contributor
1,347 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Late 50s couple want scenery over hiking

FYI, we have been to Yellowstone

NJ
Level Contributor
1,461 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Late 50s couple want scenery over hiking

I think you should consider the canadian rockies. or glacier in MT with waterton national park in Canada. these two parks together for a non hiker will easily be toured in a week visit go to the parks canada website and take a tour of some of alberta's beautiful parks along with montana!

USA
Level Contributor
1,605 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Late 50s couple want scenery over hiking

"You can get great views, short walks, and a boat ride at the back of the hotel."

This would be Many Glacier Hotel, inside Glacier National Park. Great views from the back porch of the hotel (or a balcony room if you book early enough). And the boat ride gets you to two lakes (love the view from Lake Josephine) with just a short walk (paved but steep) in between.

I also like Apgar Village Inn on the west side of the park, which sits right on Lake McDonald and every room comes with a great view.

The in-park lodging is pretty basic, but you trade that for the close location to great views.

Edited: 27 July 2014, 21:45
Kalispell, Montana
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park, Santa Fe, Sedona
Level Contributor
7,113 posts
509 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Late 50s couple want scenery over hiking

Glacier National Park:

Lake McDonald Lodge on McDonald Lake...West Side of GNP Nice for exploring the West side of the Park. Boat Rides there.

ST. Mary's...St. Mary's Lodge at the end of St. Mary's Lake, East Side of GNP. The most central for scenery and drives...a good base hotel for day trips. Boat rides on St. Mary's Lake.

Many Glacier Lodge...right on Swift Current Lake...east side of GNP The most remote and beautiful. Boat to Grinnell Glacier.

Waterton Lakes NP in Canada, Prince of Wales Hotel. A great place just over the border from Glacier NP, but very different. Boat ride to end of lake and back.

These hotels are top notch...Patricia Lake Bungalows are very very nice but a rung down for luxury.

Banff...Banff Springs Hotel...no boat ride but VIEWS and golf.

Jasper...Jasper Park Lodge on Lake Beauvert...Can rent a paddle boat or canoe, or Patricia Lake Bungalows...no boat rides but can rent canoes.

Any more specific questions...message me. We live in Kalispell and travel extensively around the state and into Canada. We too are scenery lovers, photography buffs, leisurely road travellers and not great hikers. We do know a few easy hikes though.

8. Re: Late 50s couple want scenery over hiking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 January 2016, 00:15