We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

buying groceries in Gustavus

Which Gustavus hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
B.C. canada
Level Contributor
78 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
buying groceries in Gustavus

We are flying into Gustavus to do a 10 day paddle trip. we would like to buy some last minute groceries for the trip there. Is the store well stocked and how fresh is the produce.

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
1,522 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: buying groceries in Gustavus

Bear Track Mercantile (& Deli) P.O. Box 259 - (1/4 Mile Dock Road) - Gustavus, Alaska 99826 Store: (907) 697-2358

Deli: (907) 697-2352

"Your Gustavus Store since 1983" - Groceries, DELI, produce, dairy products, video and dvd rentals, camping and fishing supplies, licenses, film, bait, batteries, and Alaskan T-shirts and assorted gifts. Visa, Master cards accepted.

"Is the store well stocked and how fresh is the produce?"

Don't know but you can call them and ask!

On the side this lady I worked with came here (Fairbanks) in the early 50s. She told me eggs were considered fresh if a chicken did not come out of them.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,105 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: buying groceries in Gustavus

I remember being in the store two years ago when I spent 2-3 nights in Gustavus/Bartlett Cove, but funny that I don't recall exactly how well-stocked it was. Had everything I needed (I was camping at Bartlett Cove, so my usual meal suspects). I know I bought fresh meat since I know I used my camp stove.

The suggestion to call was a good one.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,025 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: buying groceries in Gustavus

Groceries come be barge in the SE from Seattle......ours comes once a week, so I am presuming if the barge goes to Gustavus it is only once a week, also.....ask what day of the week the barge comes in (or the day their groceries arrive) and make plans to buy the first or second day to get the freshest food......Funny how folks here in Haines hover around on Tuesdays waiting for the new bananas !!

Juneau, Alaska
Level Contributor
366 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: buying groceries in Gustavus

You can also use a courier (or go yourselves) to Fred Meyer (Kroger on steroids) or Costco/Walmart/Safeway. Have them packed then dropped off at the Wings of Alaska cargo facility (big hangar across from Fred Meyer). You could also send your food over as checked luggage, but because these are small planes it all may not make it.

Also, the ferry just STARTED service to Gustavus this past week.. which means food prices may drop, as Bear Track has to charter a plane every week to bring over the food.

Gustavus, Alaska
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: buying groceries in Gustavus

Bear Track is good and usually well stocked. There is also a small but rapidly expanding new store that caters more to bulk items called Icy Strait Wholesale (aka Toshco). Last summer they flew a small cargo plane daily (sometimes twice daily) between Juneau and Gustavus to transport groceries, so what they bring in is usually as fresh as what you get in Juneau.

Edited: 12 December 2010, 17:03
Sitka, Alaska
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: buying groceries in Gustavus

Shopping locally is always preferable, but your best bet is to fax your order to Costco or Fred Meyer in Juneau and have it shipped over on Air Excursions (the stores and the pilots have a system and do this all of the time). You groceries will arrive just fine. I bought groceries this way for years and never even had a broken egg or squashed bread.

If you shop in town, check out Glacier Bay Natural Foods (off the same road at the Mechantile). The owner operates a quaint little store out of her basement. They have bulk bins which makes packing for kayak trips much easier.

7. Re: buying groceries in Gustavus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 June 2014, 15:17
Get answers to your questions about Gustavus