We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

worth three hour drive just for slot canyon?

Which Page hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
North Carolina
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
worth three hour drive just for slot canyon?

Hi,

My teenage boys and I are planning on leaving Sedona early on 6/17 to drive to the grand canyon. We will not be doing any hikes. One son is doing a helicopter ride. Is it worth the three hour drive from there to Page just to experience the lower antelope canyon? It seems like such a cool place. Where (town)would you suggest staying overnight on the way back to Sedona? Or would it be better to drive to the slot canyon first and then go to Grand Canyon? We will be in Sedona the whole week and are pretty flexible. I really appreciate the advise!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,192 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: worth three hour drive just for slot canyon?

One night at Page to enjoy Antelope canyon and other diversions would be appropriate. Another night at the GCNP would also be my recommendation.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,001 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: worth three hour drive just for slot canyon?

I think it is worth the drive if you spend the night and do the many things available to do in Page.

There is Upper Antelope,Lower Antelope,Horseshoe Bend,Glen Canyon Dam,boating on Lake Powell,Navajo Bridges,Lees Ferry.There is the raft trip below the Glen Canyon Dam to Lees Ferry.Tons of things to do,but I would not drive from Sedona just to do Lower and go home.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: worth three hour drive just for slot canyon?

In a word YES!

But don't take my word for it look for yourself at my photos. www.pbase.com/dragonflylady

I would just stay the night in Page and then do return early the next day.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,001 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: worth three hour drive just for slot canyon?

Dragonflylady,I love that picture on the first page.Looks like you are looking into a furnace!Very nice shot.

North Carolina
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: worth three hour drive just for slot canyon?

Thank you! I really wasn't aware of the other things to do in that area. Thanks for your time!

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,137 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: worth three hour drive just for slot canyon?

agreed- a night in Page and another near/at Grand Canyon. Oddly enough, the Super 8 hotel was really quite nice when we were there 2 years ago at Page. (if you're interested in keeping costs low)

If you have trouble getting lodging at the Grand Canyon area, I would suggest the Cameron Trading Post in Cameron, Az. Is about a 30 minute drive to the eastern entrance of the Grand Canyon. Great LARGE rooms and very nice for under $90 a night.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: worth three hour drive just for slot canyon?

Thanks dez40 that was the look i was going for. :)

North Carolina
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: worth three hour drive just for slot canyon?

Truly amazing photo! I am sure it is even more dramatic in person. Thanks for sharing! My 14 year old loves photography and that was one of the reasons I was willing to make the drive. I am making my own "mastercard" commercial...lots of $$$ but priceless..may never have the opportunity to do this again! I think I will take you all up on your advise and stay in the area overnight and take in more of the sights! I have to tell you...tripadvisor and you "experts" really gave me the courage to make this trip. Its scary to spend money you really shouldn't and have no clue what you are doing. The "experts" in sedona have been great too. You folks really help make wonderful memories for families..not too many people can put that on their resume!

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: worth three hour drive just for slot canyon?

When you do go make sure you have lunch at the Dam bar and Grill. they have a 1 lb hamburger that your 14 yr old would love. The food is great.

mcmomuv4
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: worth three hour drive just for slot canyon?

We are planning to stop at the Antelope Slot Canyons for a day on our way to Colorado and are wondering if we should take a tour of the Upper Canyon or do the Lower Canyon on our own. Can you do both for the same price, or do you have to pay for each separately? We have 4 teenagers, so it seems very pricey for us. Any recommendations on the best way for us to see the Slot Canyon?