We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

two days in September

Romsey, England
Level Contributor
29 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
two days in September

My husband and I are spending two days in Page in September. We want to do a boat trip to Rainbow Arch, would it be sensible to plan a float trip (do float trips go round Horseshoe bend) and a trip to Antelope Canyon for the following day. Or is this too much water? and should it definitely be Antelope Canyon or should we go to other slot canyons? Starting early in the day will be no problem as we will be very 'jet lagged' having flown in from England the previous day.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
18,235 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: two days in September

Yes the float trips from Glen Canyon Dam to Lees Ferry go around Horseshoe Bend.You could do Antelope in the morning and do a float trip in the afternoon.You really should see Horseshoe bend from above at some point.You would have the choice to do Upper Antelope or Lower.I have only done lower and thought it was great.You need to climb ladders to access the canyon,whereas upper you just walk right in.

Are you coming in from Vegas or Phoenix?

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,683 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: two days in September

Welcome to the forum, Jantud.

Sounds like you have some good ideas for your time in Page. The boat trip to Rainbow Bridge is great. Excellent scenery all along the trip to RB. I have not done the float trips down the CO river, but they do go through Horseshoe Bend, I do believe. As for the slot canyons, Antelope is the premier, and should not be missed, but it is also more crowded. We visited three other slot canyons as part of a tour, and they were nice, but not as spectacular as Antelope overall.

Here's a link to the trip report that I wrote on out trip to Page (October 2008):

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60834-i239-k23509…

And some photos from that trip, just to give you some additional ideas for your trip:

www.photoshop.com/user/EAAtravel/…

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
61,438 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: two days in September

…wikipedia.org/wiki/…29

You need to understand the difference between Horseshoe Bend and Horseshoe Bend Overlook. We're talking about the same spot on the Colorado River, but the stop off from SR 89A below Page is the trail to the overlook (viewpoint). If you take the float trip you will be on the river and you won't be as aware of the overall turn in the river. But from the overlook you'll be viewing it from almost 1000 feet above.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
18,235 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: two days in September

That is a great picture on the Wikipedia site,but you need a special lens on your camera to fit it all in.Its very wide and deep,and hard to capture with a normal camera.

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,683 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: two days in September

Heck with the camera, you need a brave photographer to get that shot...at least one braver than me as you have to get right up on the edge to see then entire loop of the river. Gives me the willys just thinking about it.

At an art show last summer, I met a landscape photographer who had a great shot of Horseshoe Bend hanging in his booth. The shot covered the entire loop; it was very nice. I asked him how he got that shot. He said he inched out to the edge on his belly and extended the camera over the edge using a tripod.

Of course, when we visitied there, I did se several hardy souls right on the edge peering over with their cameras to get "the shot".

It is definitely worth the time and effort to walk out and see Horseshoe bend, even if you stand a yard or two from the edge (two yards, that was my limit).

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
61,438 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: two days in September

I'm with you OH. Looking forward to getting my shot in September from the raft looking up at the idiots on the edge.

Woburn...
Level Contributor
108 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: two days in September

I did not get to any boat trips but here is what hubby and I did while in Page; Colorado River Float Trip, Upper Antelope Canyon Photo Tour, Horseshoe Bend overlook and exploring around the dam and visitor center.

I highly recomend the float trip! But do the morning trip. It gets very hot out on the water and there is no shade in the rafts. We did a morning trip on the 14th of Sept. last year. It was truely amazing!!!

We also did Antelope Canyon with Chief Tsosie http://www.antelopeslotcanyon.com/ We did the afternoon 'photo' tour (it is longer) and even though there were no sunbeams there also were no crowds! A good tradeoff in my opinion.

Horseshoe Bend overlook is only scary at the edge. Just get down on your belly and you won't have a problem. Just be warned that you have to go very early in the morning or late in the afternoon if you want an evenly lit view for good photos. I was NOT there at the right time. We didn't get to the overlook (it's about a mile walk form the parking area) until about 9:00am and so the sun was half way down the cliffs. That meant the top was brightly lit and the bottom was in deep shadow. Very difficult to get a good shot. I Photoshoped the heck out of it but it just isn't that good. One of the few shots I took (out of 4500 for the whole trip) that I was disappointed with.

Gerry

Romsey, England
Level Contributor
29 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: two days in September

Thank you all for your replies. Your replies have made me decide that we will definitely be doing the float trip. We hope to do the overlook on the way in from Kingman where we will be spending our first night. My husband will be the idiot on the edge and I will be the neurotic woman standing well back!

After Page we will be going on to Moab for a couple of days then Zion. Although September seems a long way off – can’t wait.

Jan

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: two days in September

We have been to Antelope Upper Canyon twice. First time without the sunbeams reaching the canyon floor. It was great! Second time the sunbeams did reach the canyon floor and it was fantastic. In september you should carefully plan your trip. The sunbeams will reach the floor somewhere between 11.15 and 12.15. I'd take the 11.00 am or 11.30 am tour. Last trip we were , we first went to Horseshoebend again. As stated there will be half shade and sun but a good photgrapher (not me...) can get fantastic photo's then. The bend is in the sun allright and yes, you'll need a wide angle lens. We were back at the parkinglot near Horseshoebend by 10.45 pm. Drove to Antelope Canyon (maybe 10 minutes drive) and were in the canyon by 11.30 am after waiting time.

Taking the riverrraft same day will be too rushed imo so maybe have a great lunch at Stromboli's after AC, visit Glen Canyon Dam in the afternoon and enjoy Lake Powell. You could stroll part of Page's Rim View Trail as well. Not sure if you can fit in both the rafttrip and the Rainbow Bridge tour.

So many things to explore in Page and around!

Coming from Kingman.....are you skipping GC?

Tet

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,999 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: two days in September

Well with all the talk about shadows at horseshoe bend I had to check out our latest view. We were there late afternoon....maybe 4? in Jan so later than that would be in the summer. Our pictures are on this album: http://picasaweb.google.com/SusunK/Page09#

There are shadows, but not bad.

BTW this was just our digital camera, no special lens.

Edited: 26 March 2010, 16:14