We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

on to moab

Which Page hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
washington
Level Contributor
42 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
on to moab

we will be going from Page to Moab. is there anything worth seeing along the way or just keep driving?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,197 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: on to moab

You've got to be kidding.

Monument Valley would be worth an overnight stay and tours. Take the detour out of Mexican Hat to go up to Goosenecks SP and then up Moki Dugway. Or you could take the drive through Valley of the Gods which is comparable in many ways to Monument Valley. There are many ancient ruins sites to stop and view.

How much time do you have?

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,594 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: on to moab

Along with all Red mention if you go past Goosenecks and up the Moki Dugwy there is Natural Bridges NP. Going the other way there are petroglyphs near Bluff, a greatly under rated river- the San Juan- you could take a day trip on, the Edge of the Cedars SP in Blanding, Newspaper rock on the way to the Needles section of Canyonlands. Wilson Arch and a great tourist trap called Hole in the Rock...to name just the easy stuff.

Mesa, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tempe
Level Contributor
1,975 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: on to moab

Google maps says the driving time is five and a half hours. If you choose to drive thru, the Visitors Center at Blanding is an interesting pit stop.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: on to moab

Yes, can be done in 5-6 hours but it's not a day drive with the fantastic stops on your way. Many take 2 days. You'll lose one hour between Page and Monument Valley/Moab because the Navajo Nation does observe daylight saving time and the rest of Az (including Page) does not.

You really will be sorry not taking your time between Page and Moab.

Tet

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
4,530 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: on to moab

OMG this drive is amazing, you'll love it. Here's a trip report I wrote about a visit to Moab I made a few years back: news.grandcanyon.com/trip-report-moab-utah/

Note that one of the first things I do is kick myself for not leaving a day earlier and taking my time on the drive. Monument Valley alone is well worth an overnight if you can spare it. Some other highlights include but are not limited to Mexican Hat, Natural Bridges National Monument, Newspaper Rock (which have already been mentioned), and some smaller somewhat lesser known recreation areas. And then of course up around Moab you have a ton of parks and scenery to enjoy.

In short, take more time if you can - I promise you it will be time well spent!

washington
Level Contributor
42 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: on to moab

we are flying in to Albuquerque and will be ending up in Durango. the intial plan was to go to the Grand Canyon, to Page, to Moab and then on to Durango. We will have a week in total. It appears we will have a few 6 hour driving days. I am trying to figure out if that is worth it. My friend in Moab is saying that "seen one canyon seem them all". I am now wondering if we should just spend a few days in Santa Fe and then go to Durango and Moab.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: on to moab

ABQ to south rim will be a long drive but certainly doable via I40 to Williams and az64. Count on 6-7 hours but no time for stops on your way.

Then next day you'll need your time at the rim and if you push it you could drive to Page that day leaving GCNP via its east entrance In Page also a lot of things to explore and Page to Moab is 6 hours of driving with no stops and again, a lot of great places to visit.. For Moab you'll need 2 full dasy to only scratch the surface.

So from ABQ to Moab thru GCNP already will be 5 days and you're rushing through things. Moab to Durango with a short visit to Mesa Verde also is another day plus your time for Durango and SW CO. Also a wonderful area.

It definitely will be a more leisurely trip if you stay Santa Fe for a few days and then drive to Moab via Durango. Less driving, but are you planning to drive back to ABQ after that? You easily can spend all week in ABQ, Santa Fe, Durango without the detour to Moab but I guess the Moab visit is set in stone.

Wished your friend also had told us "seen one canyon, seen them all" It would have saved us 13 trips to the USA -lol- He's kidding, but you prob already knew that.

Tet

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,197 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: on to moab

Your friend is either kidding or blind.

Chillicothe, IL
Level Contributor