We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake Powell - quiet beaches off th beaten path...by car??

bflo
Level Contributor
140 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Lake Powell - quiet beaches off th beaten path...by car??

Are there beaches to explore which are accessible by car that will show off the beauty of lake Powell..preferably not full of tons of people? We will be there in August.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
61,376 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lake Powell - quiet beaches off th beaten path...by car??

Lake Powell is huge, but there are very few roads and the terrain is rough. You can access remote spots by water, but a good map and sense of direction is required for that too.

Best to limit yourselves to the easily accessed beaches. Crowds aren't that big of an issue. But getting lost and requiring rescue can be costly and embarrassing.

This is not New York.

bflo
Level Contributor
140 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lake Powell - quiet beaches off th beaten path...by car??

Figured as much....

Maybe I need to find out about boat tours other than the river float...

Do any boat tours let you off for exploration in teh course of the tour?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
61,376 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lake Powell - quiet beaches off th beaten path...by car??

Do the river float trip.

Exploring Lake Powell is better suited for an extended camping trip, ideally in a large houseboat with a run about in tow.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,997 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lake Powell - quiet beaches off th beaten path...by car??

The main beach is Wahweap. It is by the campground but can be fairly quiet as many of the campers will have boats.

Another beach is on the south shore just back of the dam. Take the unmarked dirt road just before crossing the bridge and drive till you find it. It isn't far. Though it is affected by water level.

One more beach accessible by car is the Lone Rock Beach north of Wahweap. I haven't traveled to this one by car so I don't know the road condition. Again it is dirt but not too far. Many people launch their boat at the marina, but set up camp with their trucks here... so it can be busy.

TUCSON
Level Contributor
1,443 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Lake Powell - quiet beaches off th beaten path...by car??

I would agree with the Wahweap sugggestion. I was there 2 years ago and drove "Lake Shore Drive" as it crosses the border, drive until this roads ends and you will probably find much solitude. I even walked down to the water which was just perfect!

Enjoy, I'm jealous.

6. Re: Lake Powell - quiet beaches off th beaten path...by car??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2010, 06:22