We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TR: 5 Weeks, 4 states and 3874 miles later.... Page

Galveston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,134 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
TR: 5 Weeks, 4 states and 3874 miles later.... Page

After only being home for what...2 months now, I’m finally starting to get writing some TRs. A little bit of background, we [Mum, Dad and myself, DD19], did a roadtrip around California, and part of the Southwest hitting some Nationals Parks, in total we took nearly 10,000 photos, travelled 3874 miles through 4 states over 5 weeks.

We stayed in Page for 2 nights, I was an enjoyable stay, over the 4th July. I would be nice just to chill out and relax here, on the lake.

Marriott Courtyard: This was our first stay at a Courtyard Mariott, the room was spacious, nice bathroom, free wi-fi and parking and free coffee in the morning. We enjoyed afternoons by the pool, not a lot of pool beds only around 15, and some were broken. Not alot of great dining choices in Page though, but your usual Subways, Sonics, and Walmarts.

=============================================

Sat 3rd July: We were on the road to Page, AZ by 12:20 UT time it took us 2hrs to get to Page and were there by 1:20 AZ time. We stayed the Marriott Courtyard, there was quite a queue to check-in, but we got a room on the top room overlooking the golf course, room 417.

We had a little drive around the town, finding where the Antelope Canyon Tour left the next day, had lunch at Subway, watch some 4th July activities going on. Ended up relaxing by the pool for a couple of hours, back to the room, uploaded some photos and showered. We fancied Italian for dinner, and ate at Stromboli’s outside on the deck, the place was busy, the portions were large, and the salads that came with the entrees were good, the bill was just under $50 for the 3 of us. Went to Wal-Mart got a few supplies, and ended the night playing cards in the room.

===============================================

Sun 4th July: First lie in of the trip, until 7:15am, though I was really up from 5ish. Out of the room by 8am, M&D had a complimentary coffee from the lobby, and we drove to Horseshoe Bend. It took us about 45mins to do the 1.5mile round trip, the terrain was mainly sand, a hard sweaty walk even at 8am, we stopped for breakfast at Subway, there 1st customers of the day, opened at 9am – the smell of fresh cookies was filling the room and we couldn’t resist and each had a cookie for afters.

We had a look around Glen Canyon, very interesting. Headed back to the room and freshen up before our 11:30am Upper Antelope Canyon Tour, we arrived at 11:15 the place was chaos, and we checked in and waited outside to start boarding.

You do get herded through the canyon like cows the experience would be absolutely amazing if it was just a few people in the canyon. We booked probably the busiest time slot of the day 11:30, I think around 8 trucks from Ekis drove to the Canyon, let alone how many other tour companies were there. It's a bit mad, when the guides are trying to organize you into your trucks, no groups want to be separated etc.., and they do need to have a better system for this.

Walking through the canyon is an amazing experience, your guide does shout at the group a lot to carry on, follow me. But if you listen to them, they will take great photos for you on your camera that you could never get yourself, as an amateur photographer. As said AMAZING, don't miss out, definitely visit the canyon.

We had lunch at Sonic [a chain we don’t have at home], sat outside it was a very windy day, better and big burger than MD’s, we then drove and stopped at some of the scenic outlooks, the wind had really picked up, and at one outlook we were being pelted with sand and stones. Dad wanted to get on a boat, so we headed to Lake Powell [our NP pass got us in for free], the tours were too $$$, so we watched some boats at the landing for awhile, before heading back to the hotel and relaxing by the pool for an hr or so.

Washed and showered and went to Fiesta Mexican for dinner, the place was packed, the portions were large, we couldn’t eat it all, and on the way out we saw the finale of the 4th July fireworks. Before heading to Wal-Mart for more supplies.

=========================================

Monday 5th July: Page to Bryce Canyon NP

We pretty much just had breakfast at Subway, with cookies for afters, and left Page to head for Bryce.

Edited: 12 October 2010, 14:33
Mentioned in this post
California
California
United States
Page
Page
Arizona
Antelope Canyon
Antelope Canyon
6,449 Reviews
Page, AZ
Horseshoe Bend
Horseshoe Bend
10,893 Reviews
Page, AZ
Upper Antelope Canyon
Upper Antelope Canyon
1,546 Reviews
Page, AZ
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
63,745 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TR: 5 Weeks, 4 states and 3874 miles later.... Page

Too bad they didn't tell you about Bonkers. For Italian food in Page, it can't be beat, and it is literally in the next block. Strombollis is a chain and if you like Outback for steaks as opposed to Mortons, then Strombollis is your kind of place. But if you appreciate fresh home cooked Italian food, go to Bonkers when you visit Page. BTW our dinner for 2 was less per portion than what you paid.

Mentioned in this post
Strombolli's
Strombolli's
1,027 Reviews
Page, AZ
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
16,263 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TR: 5 Weeks, 4 states and 3874 miles later.... Page

Always fun to read what people experience at Antelope Canyon. I wonder if they would ever consider maybe once a week do an exclusive tour and instead of packing everyone in they could charge beacoups bucks for a tour with a limited amount of people at the prime time. I'm sure there are people who would pay for that and if they charged enough they wouldn't lose any money doing it.

Mentioned in this post
Antelope Canyon
Antelope Canyon
6,449 Reviews
Page, AZ
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
63,745 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: TR: 5 Weeks, 4 states and 3874 miles later.... Page

Kbec, the Navajoes are also realizing the demand and offering options to visit other slot canyons in the region. Antelope Canyon has the name, but it is not the only place where you can experience the magic of what wind and water and time has done to the desert.

AKLover was recently in Page and toured Secret Canyon. I have seen their photos and to be honest, it's hard to tell the difference between the places. I intend to investigate it on my own on a future visit. Unfortunately, I won't have time on my way to Bluff next week.

Mentioned in this post
Antelope Canyon
Antelope Canyon
6,449 Reviews
Page, AZ
Harleysville...
Destination Expert
for Fountain Hills
Level Contributor
5,283 posts
444 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: TR: 5 Weeks, 4 states and 3874 miles later.... Page

Thanks for your TR. Sorry you had so many people when you went on your tour. We visited in May when we did it and it was less crowded. You made the best of it though. I see you have posted your reports of your other destinations so I will look forward to reading them also. You still did have some nice quality time there and I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Galveston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,134 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: TR: 5 Weeks, 4 states and 3874 miles later.... Page

@RedRox, I didn't realize Stromboli's was a chain, we enjoyed the meal. We saw a flyer for Bonkers the day.

Thanks for the comments; if your interested in reading ALL of our trip, here's it is one big thread!

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g1-i12567-k39896…

6. Re: TR: 5 Weeks, 4 states and 3874 miles later.... Page

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 April 2011, 05:17