We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report Oct. 3-5

Which Page hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kansas
Level Contributor
78 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report Oct. 3-5

Arrived Page around noon and found our lodging (Days Inn). After a quick lunch at Jack in the Box we went to Glen Canyon Dam for a tour. Very interesting. Then back to check in and rest a while as we had started our day at Bryce. We got as far as the front of the hotel heading to the Antelope Slot Canyons when we could see a rain storm brewing. Storms seem to blow in very quickly and we were glad we were not out driving in this one. Instead we went back in and I took advantage of the evening to do laundry. Neither of us wanted another big meal so we opted for ice cream from Jack in the Box. I don't recommend the food there or the service (very slow) but their ice cream was great.

The next morning we both woke up with runny noses and sneezing. We drove out to a lookout of Lake Powell and enjoyed the view before going to Colorado River Discovery for our 11:00 float trip. After a couple of doses of cold medicine I started feeling a little better and off we went. The sun was hot as we got on the river and the views amazing. But not for long. Very soon it became cloudy, the thunder rumbled and it began to rain. Fortunately we had waterproof windbreakers with us as some had T-shirts and shorts and no jackets. We were getting quite cold and wet by the time we stopped for lunch. There are some small trees on the beach and we huddled under them to eat our sandwiches. It felt like we were on Survivor!! Walking back to our raft the rain stopped and the sun came out so we finished lunch there before heading out again. For a while we enjoyed the ride and then the rain came back even harder. we were dry on the top half but the lower half was soaked and cold. What an awful feeling. The heater didn't work on our bus and the defroster wouldn't clear the windshield. A man sitting in the front seat ended up wiping the windshield clear so the driver could see.

Getting back to the hotel we were SO glad to get dry and our noses were running worse than before. We headed to Dam Bar & Grill for a hot dinner and then stopped at WalMart for more cold medicine. Another trip to the laundry to wash and dry all the wet clothes and then to bed by 8:00. Not sure if the cold medicine didn't agree with me or what, but by 10:00 I was vomiting. Thankfully that stopped by 2:00am and by the time we left the next morning I was just very weak and tired.

I know Page would be a wonderful stop if the weather would just cooperate. I really hated missing the Antelope Slot Canyons. More weather challenges in the next section of my trip report on the Grand Canyon forum....

Harleysville...
Destination Expert
for Fountain Hills
Level Contributor
4,854 posts
363 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report Oct. 3-5

Sorry the weather changed your plans so much and weren't you lucky to have the waterproof windbreakers with you. When we took the trip in April, we had a backpack filled with assorted windbreakers, sweatshirts, etc. We were surprised that some people just got on with shorts and t-shirts and not even any sunscreen.

We like the Dam tour in Page very much - possibly more than Hoover, which when we took it years ago it was mobbed. Glen Canyon one was much more relaxed. Sorry about your cold. Bummer

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report Oct. 3-5

So sorry to hear about your illness and the bad weather, too. I can't imagine that your experience on the float trip helped your cold one bit....

How was the Days Inn at Page?

Take care, alashas www.youtube.com/user/honeymoon2southwest

Kansas
Level Contributor
78 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report Oct. 3-5

Days Inn was OK. It did seem like the sides of our mattress was higher than the middle. Plenty of space in our room, helpful employees, convenient laundry, clean facility. Certainly not a bad place to stay.

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report Oct. 3-5

Thanks for your prompt reply. Lake Powell is on our short list of places to return to, and we will explore accommodations in Page as well as returning to LPR again.

all the best, alashas www.youtube.com/user/honeymoon2southwest

5. Re: Trip Report Oct. 3-5

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 May 2011, 05:15