We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

time zone/daylight savings

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
363 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
time zone/daylight savings

I feel so confused reading all the different posts about gaining an hour, losing an hour, I thought I had figured out the driving distances, but now I'm lost again. please help!

August:

LV to Zion

Zion to Bryce

Bryce to Page

Page to GCNP

GCNP to LV

I have the mapquest times, but can someone please help with the time zone and no daylight savings time changes? Thanks.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
363 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: time zone/daylight savings

I think I may have it. Do I lose an hour from LV to Zion and then gain it back from Bryce to Page? And then it stays the same for the rest of the trip?

Is that right?

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,339 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: time zone/daylight savings

If you're doing this trip after Daylight Savings ends next Sunday, the 31st, then there would be no time change between Bryce and Page.

Otherwise, you have it.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
59,715 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: time zone/daylight savings

Doing it in August, yes you have it right.

Israel
Level Contributor
415 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: time zone/daylight savings

I share your confusion! I wish there was some local application for the area lol

I'll be traveling in June -

GCNP > Page > Kanab> Springdale> Bryce and eastwards on 12.

Where do I gain or lose hours if at all? Would hate to miss on our boat tour or something similar because I lost the time.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
363 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: time zone/daylight savings

The way that I understand it (and someone please correct me if I have it wrong), is that - at that time of year, Nevada and Arizona are on the same time zone and Utah is one hour ahead. So you lose an hour when you enter Utah and gain it back when you leave towards NV or AZ.

Of course, if you are going east from Utah you may continue to lose time depending how far east you are going.

If this is NOT right, I really hope that someone explains it to me too.

Edited: 10 November 2010, 10:29
Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: time zone/daylight savings

You are right SwimMom. Between march and november Nevada, California and Arizona have same time, but the Navajo Nation in Az receives daylight saving time so is one hour later. Antelope Canyon is in the Navajo Nation but still has same time as Page (only 3-4 miles between Page and Antelope Canyon.)

Between GCNP-Page no time difference. (don't get confused at Cameron Trading Post because it's one hour later then but you even won't notice it if the daytrip is GCNP-Page) You'll lose one hour between Page and Kanab but no more timechanges to Bryce and eastwards on ut12.

We'll take full advantage right now. Gained one hour between Zion and Page and will gain one hour between Arizona and California now that DST has ended.

Tet

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
363 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: time zone/daylight savings

good warning on Cameron Trading post. I can just imagine resetting all our watches, and then losing it when we get to GCNP!

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: time zone/daylight savings

Forget about Cameron -lol- Btw, you'll gain one hour between Cameron and GC and lose it between Page and Cameron. As I said, I should not have written this last post.....;)

Israel
Level Contributor
415 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: time zone/daylight savings

Ok, so we get up in the morning in GCNP, then drive to Page, without touching our watches on the way, to be on time for the boat cruise and/or Antelope canyon tour. Then, in the evening, on the way to Kanab, we need to move our watch an hour forward. So, that would be like the way from Page to Kanab takes an extra hour (as in we'll arrive an hour later than I had thought we would). This is confusing! But I think I got it right now.

Thing is, I checked sunset times for Kanab today for our date of travel, to make sure we have plenty of time before sunset (which is around 9PM on that day, close to the longest day in the year) to drive to Kanab. Now, I guess I have to take out an hour to account for the clock adjustment... Oy vey...

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: time zone/daylight savings

Do you really want to drive from GCNP to Page, do a boatcruise (which one?) and drive to Kanab all in one day???? Blimey....

Page to Kanab is 75 miles, 1h15 min.