We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Upper Antelope Canyon - is it really as pretty as the photos

Which Page hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
United States
Level Contributor
770 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Upper Antelope Canyon - is it really as pretty as the photos

The photos on the internet show upper antelope canyon all orangey and practically glowing.

Does it really ever look like the photos show? I was just there and the tour guide had adjusted the settings our cameras for us so that even though it was dark inside, the photos looked amazing - very much unlike the nice but nothing too special sight we actually saw. Just made me wonder if it was ever really as pretty as the photos or if it was a trick of the camera. Thanks.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
56,481 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Upper Antelope Canyon - is it really as pretty as the photos

Yes it really does get the way you see it in the photos. It is mostly when the sun is high in the sky. That's why those mid day tours get so crowded. Professional equipment makes a difference too.

But to be honest, since not everyone can be there at the perfect moment, it is really better just to go there and view the slot canyon with your own eyes. Don't try to capture it all in a camera lens. Odds are you won't do it justice. And you won't see nearly as much either if you have camera glued to your face.

The same is true at the Grand Canyon and many of the other sights in the Southwest. Put your camera down and just take it into your eyes and your soul. That way it will never leave you. And you can tell people that it really is even prettier than the pictures.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,235 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Upper Antelope Canyon - is it really as pretty as the photos

No camera tricks. I depends on when you go.Weather and light conditions change all the time.Some professional photographers will spend hours, days or weeks waiting for optimal conditions.Sort of like how my pictures will never look like a Fatali photo.

Harleysville...
Destination Expert
for Fountain Hills
Level Contributor
4,937 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Upper Antelope Canyon - is it really as pretty as the photos

When we went it was at 10am and there were only 4 other people. Our guide really took his time and we saw amazing sights and colors. I got some nice

pictures too but am in no way an experienced photographer. It was beautiful to experience. I would certainly recommend that you try to make a tour.

United States
Level Contributor
770 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Upper Antelope Canyon - is it really as pretty as the photos

Thanks. That's amazing. I'll have to see it again. Hopefully once I win the wave lottery so I can go there too. Will take a nice slow trip so I'll have more time flexibility in case weather doesn't cooperate the first day I'm there.

Edited: 17 April 2011, 03:37
Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,235 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Upper Antelope Canyon - is it really as pretty as the photos

You sort of answered your own question when you said it was dark inside. If its full light, its totally different.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
2,196 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Upper Antelope Canyon - is it really as pretty as the photos

Don't know what it looked like when you saw it. But I have previously posted a couple photos each of lower and upper Antelope Canyon that I took with just a simple digital camera on automatic setting. I am by no means even an amateur photographer. Click on my screen name and then on my photos.

United States
Level Contributor
770 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Upper Antelope Canyon - is it really as pretty as the photos

Nice photos janss. Yeah, will have to go back.

8. Re: Upper Antelope Canyon - is it really as pretty as the photos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 05:16