We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Upper and lower antelope canyon - tours

Which Page hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
461 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Upper and lower antelope canyon - tours

Hi. We are visiting Page with our 7 and 9 year old and want to visit both canyons.

Which tour companies would you recommend for this and what is the idea time to do both canyons to capture the canyons with best lighting conditions?

Is it possible to do both canyons in one day as well as Horeshoe bend?

We only have one day in Page and drive out the next day to Springdale and I am not sure how much we can realistically fit in

thanks

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Upper and lower antelope canyon - tours

Hi Lynette

Horseshoe bend is best visited in the morning (if I remember correctly you are coming in april). You can do this first but be careful with the kids, no fence and a sheer drop off. Park your car at the lot just south of Page and walk to the rim. Not that strenous but bring water. No shade. It's a sandy stretch and it goes a bit uphill on the way back. If you are there by 10am light will be fine.

You can drive yourself to Antelope Upper Canyon after that (15 minutes) , pay your Navajo fee, park the car, pay for the tour and wait for the next tour. Best visit to Upper is midday. You also can drive to Page and take a tour from there. Here's site with the outfitters.

arizonaforvisitors.com/activities/antelope-c…

You can do the Lower Antelope tour after that. It's right across az98 from Upper. I'd ask the kids if they want to do that after Horseshoe bend and Upper. Maybe they fancy a cruise on Lake Powell or a visit to Glen Canyon Dam. Also the tour to Lower is guided but no tours from Page.

Afa I remember you only have to pay for the Navajo fee once ($ 6,00) but you'll have to pay for the visits seperately. Last time we went that was $ 20,-- pp but I think they've raised it to $ 26,-- now. Hope our local expert K-Bot can give you more info on that. Not sure kids pay a lower fee. There's no charge for Horseshoe bend. A visit to Glen Canyon Dam is $ 5,-- pp and I certainly would recommend to take the tour. For sunset, one of the best places is WahWeap overlook. It's some 4 miles west of the Dam off us89 on your right hand side. Short uphill drive to the big parkinglot. Bring your cameras!

Tet

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
461 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Upper and lower antelope canyon - tours

HI tet

thanks for the travel tips

How long does it take to do the horseshoe bend?

How long is the upper antelope canyon as compared to the lower?

If we had to choose one or the other which one would you recommend?

I would like to do both but as you have suggested the kids may have had enough by then.

Alternatively could we perhaps fit in one of the canyons in the afternoon the day before when driving from the grand canyon? If this were possible which canyon would you recommend for the afternoon and which for the day time at noon?

thanks again for your prompt replies

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Upper and lower antelope canyon - tours

Last thing I would do is to rush between GC and Page. There are great viewpoints along east rim, make a stop in Desert view and climb the watchtower There are Navajo stalls between Desert View and Cameron and also that's a scenic drive. Stop at the overlook on Little Colorado and stop in Cameron for the trading post. The drive to Page also is scenic with the Echo Cliffs on your right hand side, Painted desert before that and Vermillion Cliffs on your left hand side, In Bitter Springs is a side road (us89A) to Navajo Bridges,(sometimes condors are sitting below the bridge) Marble Canyon and Lees Ferry. On the short drive to Lees ferry are some remarkable rocks, Mushroom rock and Balanced Rock. Spectacular place for the kids. On your way to Page is a parkinglot (with Navajo stalls also) with great views on Vermillion Cliffs.

For Horseshoe bend: Depends on how long you want to stay at the rim but I'd count on 1.5 hours for the visit from Page and back.

Upper is just a flat quarter mile walk the most. Lower takes much longer. Ladder climbing included. Count on 2 hours.

What I would do is to make the detour to Marble Canyon and Navajo Bridges and skip one of the canyons. Upper is the classic place with the sunbeams reaching the canyonfloor so that would be my first pick.

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
4,827 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Upper and lower antelope canyon - tours

Check out this blog post written by a helicopter pilot acquaintance that sums up visiting both canyons ->: aneclecticmind.com/2011/…

Tennessee
Level Contributor
16 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Upper and lower antelope canyon - tours

Tough schedule you have there.

I prefer horseshoe bend right after the noon hour, when the sun is up high enough that you can take a basic postcard shot of the overlook without the sun flaring into your lens. The early morning could work too.

I prefer lower antelope in the morning.

If you're not primarily interested in the lightbeams, you could visit upper canyon in the afternoon when it is a bit less crowded (although frankly it's always a zoo there). Upper is very much at it's prime mid-day if you want the light beams (in the spring - summer, that is)

However, if you get into town early enough and don't mind pushing things, you could do all three and be done by mid afternoon - you'll be exhausted, but probably quite happy.

Thus, you could spend 8-10ish at lower antelope - get to the shed by 8, catch the 8:30 tour (the tours are on the half), then, back on the road, drive across the highway to upper and try to catch a 11ish upper tour. Get done with that, drive the 15 minutes give or take to Horseshoe bend and you're good to go.

As others have stated: BE CAREFUL at Horseshoe Bend - it's an amazing sight, but people have died there - absolutely not one molecule worth of protection from keeping you from going over the edge on a very fatal 1000 foot drop to the river and rocks below. Personally, I'd not be comfortable at that overlook with children, period, but that's just me. It's a heck of a view for sure, but man, that is one very, very serious drop off.

If you have to skip a canyon, skip upper.

Hope this helps!

-m

6. Re: Upper and lower antelope canyon - tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 December 2012, 10:18