We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Antelope Canyon Few Misc Questions (and Horseshoe Bend)

Which Page hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Topic
Antelope Canyon Few Misc Questions (and Horseshoe Bend)

In what order would be best to see Antelope Canyon / Horseshoe Bend arriving as early as possible from Monument Valley (perhaps 0900-0100). We want to maximize our time and move on to GC - big driving day.

Are we better stopping at Horseshoe first, is light better or worse mid morning here, we would have better light in Antelope I assume more toward noon. OR ... are you shooting into the sun at 10am at Horseshoe? So better to get to Antelope first? I imagine noon at Horseshoe pics will be washed out w/o polarizer.

Mid May when would be earliest acceptable time to enter the Canyon? Which canyon is "better"?

Which tour operator is better and which might be avoided. We want to pay a little as possible (26, 31?) as its all just the same thing.

Where can we go/park on reservation to avoid the drama of starting in Page. Avoiding the add'l time and drama and maybe getting a better position in line (?). This will also allow us not to go into Page, back out and back yet again.

*Biggest and cheapest supermarket in Page is?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
56,493 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Antelope Canyon Few Misc Questions (and Horseshoe Bend)

You will get to Antelope Canyon first when coming from Monument Valley. Upper will be on the left side of the highway (98) and Lower will be on the right. There is no 'better' canyon. However, most of the iconic photos you have seen on the Internet and in galleries were shot in the Upper canyon. The cost difference at the gate is relative to the peak hours in the middle of the day.

you don't need to select a tour operator. Just show up at the gate and you will be assigned to the next group departing with a native guide.

After leaving AC, continue on 98 to where it ends at 89. Turn left and Horseshoe Bend Overlook trail will be on the right about a half mile down the road. Shooting photos mid day will be fine. Early or late is when the canyon is in the shadows and tougher to photograph. Late day is the only time you might be shooting into the sun.

Biggest and cheapest supermarket would be Walmart, a short right turn onto 89 from 98.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Antelope Canyon Few Misc Questions (and Horseshoe Bend)

Here are some pics for Horseshoe bend during the day

http://www.pbase.com/brianowski/horseshoe

Walmart is on your way just before the parkinglot to HSB but we prefer the in town Safeway. It also has a Starbucks inside if you want a cup of coffee.

Wickenburg, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Wickenburg
Level Contributor
2,741 posts
751 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Antelope Canyon Few Misc Questions (and Horseshoe Bend)

Upper Antelope is a roughly quarter-mile slot, level and sandy ground. You’re trucked from the parking lot right off the highway, where you also buy your tickets, to the entrance of the slot canyon, walk the slot to the end, then turn around and come back.

So this is the one that can be done by anybody who’s ambulant, also with small children.

Lower Antelope Canyon is not level, it going up and down ladders, there are some boulders to negotiate, and it’s also somewhat longer. This is only recommend for people who are really well on their feet and older children.

Both are awesome and well worth seeing.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Antelope Canyon Few Misc Questions (and Horseshoe Bend)

Thanks much for this and especially the detail RedRox.

The photo transitions are great - we will invest in a polarizer. Crazy we don't already have one.

I am going to assume Lower Antelope has fewer crowds? That might be best for us.

Thx!

Hudson Valley
Level Contributor
1,794 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Antelope Canyon Few Misc Questions (and Horseshoe Bend)

If you go to Lower Antelope and show your DSLR and tripod, they will give you a photo pass. It costs the same as the tour with the native guide. You will enter the canyon with the tour group so you can hear the rules,etc. Then you have two hours to spend in the canyon taking pictures.

We didn't visit Upper canyon - maybe on a future trip. The iconic beam pictures you see are from Upper. I did get some great beam pictures from Lower and there are still great photo ops there (haven't processed pictures yet, otherwise I would send you a link).

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Antelope Canyon Few Misc Questions (and Horseshoe Bend)

Just that you know, there's a one hour timedifference between Monument Valley and Page (and GC) so you'll gain one hour.

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Antelope Canyon Few Misc Questions (and Horseshoe Bend)

You've received excellent advice. I'll only add that imo mid- to late afternoon is the preferred time to shoot Horseshoe Bend. As the helpful link that Tet posted shows, afternoon shadows provide good definition to the canyon and the light plays on the river. So your schedule will work well.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Antelope Canyon Few Misc Questions (and Horseshoe Bend)

WOW, this is all great stuff and thanks so much for the last contributions as well. I had heard something about photo tours. I think the lower is better for us sure.

I must say I initially thought HSB was much about muchness, so many mediocre washed out photos on the InternetS. Those shots are so fantastic, I downloaded one for my desktop. Every time I boot the machine, I think how beautiful it all is and what a perfect day it was to catch the landscape.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Antelope Canyon Few Misc Questions (and Horseshoe Bend)

Maybe leave MV by 8am. You'll easily be at Lower by 9.30 pm local time. Take 2 hours for Lower and have something to eat and drink in Page. Maybe on your way 12.30. Take one hour for Horseshoe bend (longer with more photoshoots and on your way to GC 01.30 pm Stop at the Cameron Trading post for 30 minutes, drive intop GC and first stop at Desert View and maybe some other viewpoints on the way so I don't think you'll be in GC VIllage any later than 5-6 pm depending on the stops along east rim.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Antelope Canyon Few Misc Questions (and Horseshoe Bend)

Thx Tet14 and obligatory stop at SAFEWAY :-)

Much thanks and if those are your shots you linked to - fantastic (you must be a very patient person)!