We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 nights in Page beginning of April: need help to prioritize

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
535 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
2 nights in Page beginning of April: need help to prioritize

Hello, I'm taking my 10 yo to Arizona for a spring break in a couple of weeks and I would like to get an advise on how to prioritize activities around Page.

We'll be leaving Grand Canyon South Rim for Page on Tue 4/3 and we'are leaving Page on Thu 4/5 for the Monument Valley, so at best I can have Tue after 12 pm, whole Wed and part of the day on Thu.

I was lucky to won a permit for Wave for 4/4 (Wed) and I guess that will take the most of the Wed, but maybe will leave some time in the evening.

I'd like to see Antelope Canyon (hopefully Upper and Lower), visit Horseshoe Bend, Lake Powell and one of the water tours - I'm trying to decide rafting or boat tour on Lake Powell.

The current plan I have is:

Tue: leave GC early morning, catch Lake Powell boat tour (Canyons 2.5 hour) at 1 pm, evening - ?

Wed: hike Wave most of the day, evening - ?

Thu: Antelope Canyon: try to catch best photo time for Upper Canyon and visit Lower canyon (or maybe some other less crowded Canyon nearby) before Upper Canyon, or after, then leave for Monument Valley

The questions I have:

- If I plan to visit Antelope Upper canyon at prime time (10:30 - 11 am departure) would you suggest to visit Lower Canyon before or after?

Is 2.5 hours boat tour on Lake Powell enough? Or is it good? - I'd love to take a longer tour with hiking to Rainbow bridge, but that tour departs only early morning, so I'd need to switch Antelope Canyon to Tue (the morning I leave GC) and I'm afraid I can miss the prime photo time.

I also looking for rafting option as alternative to boat tour, but again it departs early morning, so I need to switch Antelope Canyon to Tue and risk to miss prime photo time, but I don't have a final decision yet.

- Is rafting tour more exciting that lake boat tour?

- Would you prefer it over boat tour in early April?

- What would you recommend for two evenings on Tue and Wed - I'd like to visit horse shoe bend and I'd like to dine in some restaurants with a nice view.

When to visit Horse Shoe - morning / evening, combine with Lake Powell, Wave or Antelope Canyon?

Can you recommend good restaurants with a nice view for dinner?

Will really appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks, Anna

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
60,102 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 nights in Page beginning of April: need help to prioritize

Congrats on the Wave permit! You are in for a rare treat.

You don't really have enough time to do everything in Page. Water trips in April can be iffy weather wise anyway. But I would choose the Glen Canyon raft trip if the weather is fair. In April, I believe there is just one launching time each day and that is 11AM. You could make that on your first day if you want to. Otherwise, the trail to Horseshoe Bend is on the left side of 89 as you approach Page. You could do that and Antelope Canyon on the first day instead of the water, if you choose.

Don't expect great views from restaurants at night. Its dark. Probably the most unique is the Antelope Marina floating restaurant with views of the harbor.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
535 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 nights in Page beginning of April: need help to prioritize

Thank you very much for reply!

You're right the departure time for rafting trip is 11 am, and I guess we'll have to be there by 10:30 am, which means we'll have to leave GC no later than 7:30 am, maybe 7 am. Probably we still can make it if there are no unexpected delays.

I'm just worry if weather is not nice rafting tour might be not very comfortable, and I will have to book in advance, so no chance to decide last minute.

I'll think a bit more about it and try to find reviews on rafting trips early April.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,926 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 nights in Page beginning of April: need help to prioritize

You will be packing in a lot in your short visit. But you'll love it all.

Will you have already seen the east rim viewpoints on the way out of Grand Canyon? If not I wouldn't try to rush to Page to catch a raft trip. Enjoy the grand canyon views along the way out. You could even take the detour over to Lee's Ferry on your way to visit the old ferry buildings, the Lonely Dell ranch where the ferrymen lived and walk across the Navajo bridge.

I would do Horseshoe Bend Overlook on your way into Powell. You could take Antelope canyon boat tour that evening

Next day the Wave. Take all day, no need to rush out of there, enjoy it all.

Last day do Lower Canyon first, Upper at mid day. Eat at the Antelope Point Marina.

That does not give you the raft trip, but not a rush to leave Grand Canyon either.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
535 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 nights in Page beginning of April: need help to prioritize

Thanks for the suggestions, but after reading reviews I booked the rafting trip already :) so we will have to leave GC early to get to Page by 10:30 am, but we will be in GC a couple of days and I have been there before.

I also booked morning back country tour at Monument Valley and seems like there will be a full moon the night we stay at The View hotel, so I hope it will be nice.

Just hope for the good weather for that week - I know it could be unpredictable, but if I can catch "the average" that would be awesome. :)

5. Re: 2 nights in Page beginning of April: need help to prioritize

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 March 2013, 09:48
Get answers to your questions about Page