We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

13 night Itinerary

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
167 posts
224 reviews
Save Topic
13 night Itinerary

Hi.

I have been planning a road trip itinerary during the past few weeks. As always the biggest problem is time and budget. I have come up with something that looks to work well (on paper anyway). I was wondering if you guys could find any major problems with the plans.

We have visited Las Vegas on a couple of occasions before and done a visit to Grand Canyon NP, staying in the Village at the South Rim. We have also visited Valley of Fire State Park.

In 2010 we made Denver a big part of our holiday that year and would be happy with a brief visit this time around.

My itinerary is as follows:

After a few days in Vegas getting over the jetlag, we will set off on May 2nd.

(Number of nights in brackets)

1. Vegas to Zion NP (2)

2. Zion NP to Bryce Canyon NP (1)

3. Bryce Canyon NP to Page (3)

4. Page to Moab. Taking in Monument Valley (3)

5. Moab to Aspen (2)

6. Aspen to Denver (2)

We would be flying back to the UK from Denver.

I was also wondering about road closures around Aspen.

Comments welcome.

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
4,852 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 13 night Itinerary

Have you checked rental car rates picking up in Las Vegas and dropping off in Denver? Many visitors find the one-way surcharge to be prohibitively high so you might verify this before committing to your plan, especially since you mention being on a budget.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 13 night Itinerary

Passes around Aspen like Independence Pass still can be closed in may.

I'd add a night in Monument Valley and stay Page for 2 nights. And tes, there will be drop off charges for the car from $ 250,-- plus tax afaik

Tet

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
167 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 13 night Itinerary

Hi

Yeah, the drop off charges are a pain. I will have to look into that. I am not sure if it would help if I dropped off in Page and renew contract.

I though the mountainous roads may be a problem. If I could get to Aspen from Glenwood Springs, I could go back that way round to Denver (unless we got trapped. Oh, my god). If that section was closed I would probably just stop the 1 night in Glenwood Springs.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 13 night Itinerary

Carrental in Page is very limited and you'll have to pay drop off charges twice. Not a good idea. Glenwood Springs to Aspen is an easy drive so you can return same route. We also did that when we found Independence pass closed in october after a sudden snowstorm.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
57,684 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 13 night Itinerary

Given the limited time and drop off fees, I'd leave off the Colorado destinations and form a loop back to LV possibly viaFlagstaff and Sedona. Or just stay in Utah. This would make Monument Valley and Moab the most distant stops, but with 13 nights, it s doable.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
167 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 13 night Itinerary

Thanks for the feedback.

My wife and I have agreed to cut the Colorado section from the trip. We have decided to do a round trip from Vegas.

Vegas to Bryce. Bryce to Moab. Moab to Page. Page to Zion. Zion to Vegas.

Thanks

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,852 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 13 night Itinerary

Good decision - you'll find more than enough beautiful scenery in Arizona and Utah to fill your holiday. Be sure to purchase an America the Beautiful Federal Lands Access Pass when you get here. This is a card that costs $80US and allows you access to all the National Parks and Monuments in the US for 1 year's time. It won't work for Monument Valley as it's a Native American Tribal Park, but it will pay for itself with all the other parks you have on your list. Since international postage is quite high, just purchase it at the first National Park Service Fee Station you come to. US visitors can pre-order the pass online at http://store.usgs.gov/pass

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
167 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 13 night Itinerary

Hi K

Is that $80 per person or per car?

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,852 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 13 night Itinerary

@ ukdryver - that gets everyone in your car into the various parks

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 13 night Itinerary

I'd do: Las Vegas-Zion-Bryce-Moab-Monument Valley-Page-Grand Canyon-Las Vegas.