We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will Upper Antelope Canyon be really crowded in late July?

Which Page hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
60 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Will Upper Antelope Canyon be really crowded in late July?

Hi guys,

Definitely going to try and hit up Antelope Canyon, looks amazing. (Incidentally, was 127 hours shot around here, photos of the place look straight out of that movie?).

The thing I have to decide is whether to visit Uppor Antelope Canyon, Lower Antelope Canyon, or both?

I guess one factor that could influence my decision is price (I have no idea how much either costs).

I think I'm more concerned, though, about the crowds that might be drawn to the Upper Antelope Canyon, which I understand is the more popular canyon. Seeing as my friend and I are going in the middle of summer, is Upper liable to jam-packed full of people? I'm a bit of a city slicker, tbh, but when I'm there at Antelope Canyon I'd prefer to hear my own thoughts (and the words of wisdom imparted by a wise old Navajo guide) rather than screaming kids and - without wanting to sound like an old Scrooge (I'm 23!) - obnoxious tourists.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,785 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Will Upper Antelope Canyon be really crowded in late July?

The canyon is never jam packed. They don't allow tours to get that tight. At the worst, you'll just have to wait longer for your tour to begin.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Will Upper Antelope Canyon be really crowded in late July?

Hmmmmm, yes Upper can be busy and Lower is less crowded.

Wickenburg, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Wickenburg
Level Contributor
2,741 posts
746 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Will Upper Antelope Canyon be really crowded in late July?

You don't need to see both of them. Upper does get really, really crowded - which was what put us off it last time we were there - not literally jam-packed, but VERY full of people pushing past each other both ways. So this time around we did Lower - it's cheaper and the crowds are way thinner and it's one way - actually, very few people there. That was May, so you'll have more people in July, but nowhere near as crowded as Upper gets especially around late morning to early afternoon, the prime times, which are even more expensive than other times there at Upper these days. If you can handle going up mand down ladders, definitely do lower. Lower is also equally stunning, longer, too.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
60 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Will Upper Antelope Canyon be really crowded in late July?

Thanks for the responses.

Esty666: Yeah, we'll be able to handle going up and down ladders no bother.

Sounds like, then, that my fears about Upper canyon being teeming with crowds have been confirmed. Will probably just hit up Lower Canyon then.

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
4,616 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Will Upper Antelope Canyon be really crowded in late July?

<<Will probably just hit up Lower Canyon then.>> You might also consider hitting Upper Antelope on one of the "off-hours," like 8 AM. You won't get that light beam effect that you would during one of the mid-day tours, but it's still beautiful. This video was shot on one of the morning tours. As you can see, still gorgeous no matter the time of day ... well, except for maybe night :) ->: http://youtu.be/N2ClQzs9mQU

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
60 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Will Upper Antelope Canyon be really crowded in late July?

That's a good idea. Looks like we're gonna be staying overnight in Page after all so it wouldn't be so hard to get there for 8am i guess.

Cavan, Ireland
Level Contributor
66 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Will Upper Antelope Canyon be really crowded in late July?

No matter how bad crowd wise it is, it wont be anything like Henry St in the sales after Christmas or coming out of a concert in the RDS.! In the US , generally , people are very respectful of " my space" . I am always amazed at how polite the public are. One never has to wrestle for space! Dont worry, the crowd wont be a problem for you if you are Irish. Shur arn't we used to it??!!!

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Will Upper Antelope Canyon be really crowded in late July?

It sure will be an international crowd at AC. O well ;)

Cavan, Ireland
Level Contributor
66 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Will Upper Antelope Canyon be really crowded in late July?

T'will, Tet, T'will!!!!

10. Re: Will Upper Antelope Canyon be really crowded in late July?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 June 2013, 06:16