We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best airport for getting into and out of Page

Frederick, Maryland
Level Contributor
120 posts
142 reviews
Save Topic
Best airport for getting into and out of Page

I will be coming out in the end of Aug. and can't seem to find a suitable airport that is close. Phoenix is a few hundred miles. What about Vegas, Denver or Salt Lake.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
7,807 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best airport for getting into and out of Page

Page, for God's sake, is a small isolated community... Built in the Arizona desert in the late 50's to house workers on the Glen Canyon Dam...It is NOT a destination resort ! Other than beds for surrounding "attractions", there is naught to commend the place...There are no direct flights...Phoenix or Las Vegas will be your best options for major airline service and tours or car rental...carracar

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
5,056 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best airport for getting into and out of Page

Most visitors to Lake Powell, Grand Canyon, etc. choose to fly into Phoenix or Las Vegas. Either airport is about a 5 hour drive from Page. Las Vegas in particular makes for a good starting/ending place from which to visit Lake Powell, Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce, etc.

Great Lakes Airlines does offer scheduled air service to the Page Municipal Airport (PGA) from Phoenix, Las Vegas and Denver. But before you plunk down your credit card for a ticket, a few things to be aware of: 1. Great Lakes is a commuter airline and as such their flights are conducted on smaller planes than you might be used to (typically 19-seater Beechcrafts) 2. Despite the fact that their flights are run on smaller equipment, you should expect the flight leg into Page to be just as expensive as the flight leg from your departure city into PHX, LAS or DEN.

I'm in the local tourism industry and when talking to people who have used Great Lakes to get to Lake Powell, a lot of them do say that if they had it to do over again, they would have "bitten the bullet" and made the drive from PHX or LAS. In retrospect, using Great Lakes didn't save them much in the way of time and certainly didn't save them any $$$. But the option is there if you want it. There are car rentals at the Page Municipal Airport as well, last I was there, AVIS and Hertz were the two on-field suppliers. Some hotels do offer complimentary shuttle service too.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best airport for getting into and out of Page

Vegas and Phx are you best options indeed. And there are tons of places to visit in Page. You won't be disappointed. Just make your reservations that time of year also because you are coming in the busy Labor Day weekend.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
61,438 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best airport for getting into and out of Page

Getting to and from Page is half the fun. Depending on how much time you have, you can explore a dozen other national parks, monuments and major attractions. But it's all in th high desert and remote is an appropriate word.

How much time do you have? Why are you going to Page? What do you expect to see and do there?

Frederick, Maryland
Level Contributor
120 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best airport for getting into and out of Page

I have actually been there before but on an extended Western trip. I am looking for a major airport that I can fly in and out easily. I really don't want to spend days driving to and from but looks like you have to. Vegas seems to be the closest at approx. 375-400 miles.

I will be there a week to 10 days. I have visite all the parks except monument Valley and Yellowstone.

Thanks You

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
61,438 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best airport for getting into and out of Page

PHX is probably the most convenient. The drive will take 5 hours. LV to Page will take just slightly longer.

Flight times and fares might determine which airport you'll use though. Also be sure to compare rental car costs and fees.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best airport for getting into and out of Page

Phoenix also will be more convenient if you want to get to MV first. There's a one hour timedifference then. Page has same time as Phoenix.

8. Re: Best airport for getting into and out of Page

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 July 2013, 06:16