We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lower Antelope Canyon

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Lower Antelope Canyon

Hi, I am very claustraphobic and wonder if I will have difficutly in the lower canyone? I would really like to do it, but I gather some of the areas are quite tight and there is generally a crowd. My difficulty is tight spaces and not being able to see an exit.

Thank you.

Pat

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
59,254 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lower Antelope Canyon

Exits will be out of sight. There is enough room for anyone who is there, but it is basically below ground with rock walls on both sides.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lower Antelope Canyon

Thank you. I will need to think about this. If I was to go, what is the shortest time I would be in there? I know this sounds ridiculous, but we are traveling from NZ and this is something I really want to do. Thanks again.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
59,254 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lower Antelope Canyon

Touring the canyon takes about an hour. I have issues with claustrophobia and sometimes with heights too. I would have no fears about Antelope Canyon. It's not a cave.

Edited: 27 January 2013, 03:38
Wickenburg, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Wickenburg
Level Contributor
2,749 posts
820 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lower Antelope Canyon

It's always open to the top, and 'tight' doesn't mean you have to squeeze through, just contort a bit ... my husband is extremely claustrophobic and he had absolutely no issue with Lower Antelope (or upper, but we didn't like the crowds there) - Lower hardly ever gets massive crowds like Upper does. The issue with Lower is the very steep steel stairs, usually called ladders, but they're really just steep stairs, like on ship between decks.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,326 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lower Antelope Canyon

The sections you'll need to squeeze thru are quite short. For the most part the canyon is open enough that you shouldn't have any issues. Most likely you're biggest concern will be right at the beginning. You'll look at the crack in the ground and think "we're going to fit thru that?" But once you start down you'll see how quickly it opens up.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
371 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Lower Antelope Canyon

What about for those of us who could stand to lose a few pounds? Any issues squeezing down the crack where the ladders are?

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,716 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lower Antelope Canyon

No ,you will make it. The crack is small, but its not that small.

8. Re: Lower Antelope Canyon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 February 2014, 07:15