We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Given Page road closure, advice please

London
Level Contributor
24 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Given Page road closure, advice please

Travelling second week in March from GCNP, had planned side trip to Page to see Horseshoe Bend and other sights, but have accommodation at The View that night. With the road closure, I am beginning to wonder whether all the extra driving on the same road is worth the detour. Could forget Page, go straight to MV and do the park tour that day, giving me an extra half day to fill in my 7 day trip in the region. Novelty value of four corners a possibility and Canyon de Chelly - but just wanted advice about the must-see options. Practically, how long would a drive from GCNP to Page via detour, plus sightseeing time at Lake Powell, then return drive to MV, take?

Wickenburg, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Wickenburg
Level Contributor
2,752 posts
829 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Given Page road closure, advice please

Since you need to get to MV the same day, I'd agree that under the given circumstances it would probably be best to skip Page, even though Antelope Canyon and horseshoe bend are definitely well worth seeing per se.

Four Corners is not worth going to except if you are panning other activities in the 4Corners AREA - but if you can add Canyon de Chelly to your itinerary, that more than compensates for missing Page and the extra driving as you are forced to do now after our 'geological event' as you would have simply passed thruogh Page in any case w/o staying there. Thus, yeah, go straight to MV, add CdeC to your itinerary.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Given Page road closure, advice please

The detour to Page will take 45-60 minutes so app 3.5-4 ( extra time to get to Horseshoe bend with 4 hours) hours between GC and Page and 2.5 hours between Page and Monument Valley. You'll lose one hour between GC/Page and MV from march 10.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,356 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Given Page road closure, advice please

You may also want to stop at Navajo National Monument on the way to Monument Valley.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
59,690 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Given Page road closure, advice please

Go straight to MV. Better to have some quality time there than to race to add 4-5 extra hours into your day. The detour plus sightseeing time at Page would require at least that much time.

London
Level Contributor
24 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Given Page road closure, advice please

Thank you for all your feedback. Will wait and decide on the day what to do, as we are both serious drivers, and if the conditions are fair, we may decide to tackle the side trip. I am always hopeful that a temporary fix may be in place. Close to where I live, we have been coping with a temporary road subsidence fix for the past 4 years! I would like to see Horseshoe Bend etc. as this is my second trip to this area, and I doubt whether we will be back again - so many places to see, so little time etc!

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Given Page road closure, advice please

Have you seen the photo's? Not a chance for a temporary fix.

azdot.gov/CCPartnerships/News/NRel3399.asp

London
Level Contributor
24 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Given Page road closure, advice please

OK, I give in, no temporary fix!

On a separate but related topic, I have seen the various postings about the expensive cost of tours into MV. I also picked up a comment that there are cheaper $25 pp tours available on a turn up and go basis. Will those be available second week in March? I just feel I have other uses to which I could put £150 than driving around in a jeep for 3.5 hours!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
59,690 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Given Page road closure, advice please

The $25 tour will take you on the 11 mile long loop road through the tribal park. This is the only part of the park that allows public access. However the road is unmaintained and not recommended for traditional vehicles and rental vehicles are prohibited by contract. The fact that it takes about two hours to drive this 11 mile road should indicate the pace that is required.

The more expensive tours give you much more. They take you to back country areas where a native guide is absolutely required. You'll see iconic sites and have an opportunity to learn more about the Navajo history and culture. You'll get what you pay for, and more.

And if you don't want to ride around in a jeep for 3.5 hours, why are you bothering to go to Monument Valley?

London
Level Contributor
24 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Given Page road closure, advice please

It's not the 3.5 hours we object to, it's feeling we're tourists being ripped off to the tune of $150!

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Given Page road closure, advice please

We have driven into MV 3x over the years but you are taking a risk with you rental car. Flat tires galore.