We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lower canyon stairs at Antelope Canyon

Indpls. IN
Level Contributor
52 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Lower canyon stairs at Antelope Canyon

You talk about the stairs being steep. Are there rails or some kind or hand holds. How many sets of stairs and approximately how far is the descent. We are considering the photo tour and plan on lugging in alot of photo gear. Thanks JimmyP.

Horseshoe Bend Slot Canyon Tours
4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Photography Tours
Antelope Canyon X by Taadidiin Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Photography Tours
Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
5,020 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lower canyon stairs at Antelope Canyon

Forward to the :05 mark on this video ->: http://youtu.be/d6GvqfzcYz0

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
18,062 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lower canyon stairs at Antelope Canyon

There are a few sets of stairs. Never bothered to count though.

Here is just one example on You Tube.There are many others.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5y65pJX1eU

Hudson Valley
Level Contributor
1,872 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lower canyon stairs at Antelope Canyon

There are a few set of stairs and they have railings. Here's a picture I took of one set (representative of the others):

www.pbase.com/pudgy_groundhog/image/142550834

It's not bad. How are you carrying your photo gear? There are places where the canyon narrows down - you will want a good way to carry your gear.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
60,723 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lower canyon stairs at Antelope Canyon

You'll want to have your hands free to use the rails. If you plan to carry photo gear or a child or anything else, you'll need a proper backpack.

Indpls. IN
Level Contributor
52 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lower canyon stairs at Antelope Canyon

Pudgy,

I have a backpack for my gear.

JimmyP

Hudson Valley
Level Contributor
1,872 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lower canyon stairs at Antelope Canyon

Backpack is good ... depending on how bulky it is, you might need to take it off in places. I wouldn't worry about taking a lot of lenses - you won't want to change them in the canyon since it's so sandy (and people are tossing sand around for the sunbeams).

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
135 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lower canyon stairs at Antelope Canyon

I carried my camera backpack, loaded with gear, and my tripod and had no problems. I took the backpack off in a few places and carried it in one hand. The photo tour is at your own pace, so you can take it slow in some of the tight spots.

The tip above not to change lenses anywhere near the site is a great one. Even though it is not easily visible, there is dust everywhere.

I LOVED Lower Antelope. I uploaded some of the shots from the lower canyon in my Northern Arizona folder at http://www.awcphotos.com/.

Wickenburg, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Wickenburg
Level Contributor
2,754 posts
832 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lower canyon stairs at Antelope Canyon

Obviously handrails, yes, and maybe four, five stairs - didn't count either ... my husband also lugged all his different lenses, the trip, the two cameras ... with a backpack, no trouble at all!

9. Re: Lower canyon stairs at Antelope Canyon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 March 2014, 06:17