We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bryce Canyon or Zion National Park

Which Page hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Phoenix
Level Contributor
18 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
Bryce Canyon or Zion National Park

Hi,

I'll be travelling to Page on the 8th - 10th weekend and would have time to visit either Bryce Canyon or Zion Park. Any suggestions which one should I visit? Thank you.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,127 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bryce Canyon or Zion National Park

Personally I would pick Zion, but it depends on how much time you have to see either park. The parks are completely different than each other in terms of scenery.

Bryce can be seen in much less time than Zion. Usually a day and overnight is enough for most people.

Zion takes more time to explore, so a couple days there is usually best. Zion is a big park with different sections, like the Kolob Canyons, Kolob Terrace, Main Canyon and East side.

Bryce is about 3 hours from Page, Zion closer to two.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,785 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bryce Canyon or Zion National Park

Both. The drive between the two takes a little over 2 hours. They are relatively close to each other, but so amazingly different, you really need to see them both. Then you'll be inspired to come back and spend more time.

Phoenix
Level Contributor
18 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bryce Canyon or Zion National Park

Thanks dez40 and RR for your response. My spouse is really interested to see some fall foliage. Is it too late now for that in either of the parks?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,785 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bryce Canyon or Zion National Park

Zion is at a lower elevation and you're more likely to catch some foliage there, but it's getting late.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bryce Canyon or Zion National Park

Yes, still fall foliage in Zion. We have stayed there several times first week of november. Hope it's the same this year.

Sydney
Level Contributor
50 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bryce Canyon or Zion National Park

Hi,

We are from Australia and stayed in a vacation rental between Zion and Bryce for three nights in late December 2011 and we visited both parks. Zion was our favourite by a long shot, particularly given the time of the year we visited which impacted on our enjoyment, of Bryce in particular.

With Zion you are right IN the park - driving through on that magnificent road is just spectacular and you can pull off at any time for short walks or photo ops. Springdale is also a lovely little town with great food and atmosphere.

We really enjoyed the drive INTO Bryce (some amazing rock formations on the side of the road) but as we were there when there was a lot of ice on the trails we were very limited in our experience of the park itself. We stood at a lookout and viewed the hoodoos which, don't get me wrong, are spectacular in both formation and scale BUT I really think to get the most out of Bryce you would need to be down amoungst the hoodoos (perhaps on a horse ride) and that just wasn't possible at the time we visited. I also think early November will be too cold, in the case of your visit.

We LOVED Zion NP, I now call it my "Happy Place" and that was after seeing Arches NP, GCNP, Sedona and Monument Valley so it had some pretty stiff competition for my "favourite" and won hands down!

Not sure how much time you have but we visited Bryce one morning (.ie. just a few hours incl. driving time) so you may well be able to see both but Zion cannot be too highly recommended.

Enjoy your visit!

PS. We're back in that area this Christmas (not Zion unfortunately) but we are visiting Page which we had to skip last time - I'd love any advice on Antelope Canyon if you're going there, and any other "tips" for Page (accommodation, food) that you may be willing to share.

Cheers,

Jenn

Wickenburg, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Wickenburg
Level Contributor
2,741 posts
746 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bryce Canyon or Zion National Park

Even if you just have time to spend 2-3 hours along the rim at the Amphitheater of Bryce, it is absolutely worth the visit and slight detour. Do try to fit it in; especially as the drive to get there between Carmel Junction (turnoff to Zion) and Bryce is very scenic and worth doing in its own right.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bryce Canyon or Zion National Park

Yes, the drive from Mt Carmel to Bryce is spectacular. It's not mentioned often on the forums but along this road (us89) runs meandering Sevier River and that's an ecosystem in itself. Enjoy!

Jenn, maybe best to post your question for Page on the Page forum. More people will read and we sure can help you then.

Tet

9. Re: Bryce Canyon or Zion National Park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 November 2014, 06:19