We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lodging

panama city, florida
Level Contributor
110 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Lodging

My husband & I are planning a road trip thru the Navajo Indian reservation. Are there any unique accommodations, i.e. wigwam, clay room/cave...etc. - not just a regular hotel room. We want to experience something very unique and indicative to the indian culture.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
58,287 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lodging

There's an overnight Hogan experience at Monument Valley. I'd also urge you to look into the la Posada hotel in Winslow. This was the original Harvey House hotel on the railroad and housed a large Indian trading post. Also the Cameron Trading post at Cameron has lodging.

panama city, florida
Level Contributor
110 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lodging

Thank you, I checked all 3 places out and they are great !!!

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lodging

There's Wigwam motel in Holbrook, one of the 3 left in the USA. But it's not inside the Navajo reservation.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
451 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lodging

The Wigwam Motel that Tet referenced is great - especially with kids. Cheap too! However, the wigwams are made out of concrete. I would consider a stay here more of a "Rt. 66 experience" than one to appreciate the Native American culture. Though it may not be a traditional Native American experience, it sure is fun! If you find yourself in the Holbrook area, I would certain suggest it.

I know folks who've done the overnight Hogan experience that RedRox spoke about and they had high regards for it. They really learned a lot and really enjoyed themselves.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
71 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Lodging

I believe you can stay in a hogan at Spider Rock Campground at Canyon de Chelly (note this is a privately owned campground, and not the park's Cottonwood Campground).

Berkeley, California
Level Contributor
156 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lodging

The hogans mentioned by RedRox are, I think, at the Firetree Bed & Breakfast in Monument Valley. From the sequence of pictures describing the building of a hogan, they appear remarkably well built, very traditionally.

From the pictures, the hogans at Spider Rock Campground in Canyon de Chelly look like more of a mishmash. Some of the bathroom reviews there are rather scathing - they frightened us off.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lodging

Yes Firetree. They are expensive and a lot of miles from Monument Valley...

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lodging

Yes, they are at Firetree but we found them rather expensive and a long way from Monument Valley. but the reviews are good.

9. Re: Lodging

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 January 2015, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Page