We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Upper/Lower Antelope Canyon tour

San Diego...
Level Contributor
11 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Upper/Lower Antelope Canyon tour

Hi Advisors:

For the Upper/Lower Antelope Canyon tour, can we drive to the park, pay the Navajo/permit fee, then take the guide tour? Or should we book the guided tour (based at Page) online?

We are not enthusiastic photographers, and may only take half day at either upper or lower canyon, then spend the afternoon at Lake Powell. Any advise which canyon we should go, upper or lower?

Thanks in advance,

TL

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,855 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Upper/Lower Antelope Canyon tour

You can just drive up to either and get on the next available tour.

Upper is flat and sandy, Lower requires climbing ladders to get into the canyon.

Also see Horseshoe Bend.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
11 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Upper/Lower Antelope Canyon tour

Thanks so much! I plan to visit the Horseshoe bend in the morning, then take the Colorado River Rafting. i saw they have 2 options, half day or full day. I plan to go with the full day one, but I have a 7yrs old boy. Any advise? Is it worthwhile to take the full day raft?

Thx again

Wickenburg, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Wickenburg
Level Contributor
2,753 posts
829 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Upper/Lower Antelope Canyon tour

I would opt for Lower if you have no mobility issues (very steep stairs). It's more 'interesting' with a child, MUCH less crowded. Jut so you understand: yes, you can drive right there and park right there, but you HAVE to take a guided tour, nobody gets in without a guide except photographers with a special pass at Lower. At Upper you might have a good wait for the next vacancy, at Lower you usually get in within the next half hour max.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Upper/Lower Antelope Canyon tour

When will this trip be? There's only one raft starting 11 am till may and after september.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
16,406 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Upper/Lower Antelope Canyon tour

Most 7 year olds would not enjoy sitting on a raft all day with only a few breaks.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
11 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Upper/Lower Antelope Canyon tour

Thanks so much, I appreciate all the help.

We will be visiting early April, and we will take the half day rafting. If time allows, will visit lower canyon after the rafting.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Upper/Lower Antelope Canyon tour

In april you won't be back from the rafttrip before 4pm Rather late to also visit Lower after that.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
11 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Upper/Lower Antelope Canyon tour

Thanks! We will visit Lower canyon next morning then.

After the raft trip, what about spend sometime at Lake Powell area, is this doable or worthwhile?

Wickenburg, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Wickenburg
Level Contributor
2,753 posts
829 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Upper/Lower Antelope Canyon tour

Be sure to wear VERY warm clothes in early April. It is COLD on the river in the a.m. even later in the year, especially the first part all in the shade of the canyon walls. A very warm windproof jacket is a must!!!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
59,771 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Upper/Lower Antelope Canyon tour

Good advice from Esty as always. Being in the canyon shadows, it can be chilly.