We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itenary from Vegas to Page - April 16

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Topic
Itenary from Vegas to Page - April 16

Hello Experts!

My family of 5 (2 adults + 3 kids between 7-14) will be driving from Orange County, CA to Vegas next Wednesday 4/16 for one night before heading to Page the next afternoon. Google map indicates the drive will be about 5 hours from Vegas so I planned on leaving Vegas at around 10am so we should be in Page by 3 ish. Is there anything we can do on the way there or possibly see in Page around that time before dark? Can we visit Horseshoe Bend that same day? Our plan is to hopefully visit Horseshoe bend or another scenic place before retiring for the night, then start out next morning to do the 1/2 day rafting at Lake Powell then spend the rest of the day exploring by renting kayak. For Saturday, we plan on visiting touring Antelope Canyon before heading back to home to Orange County. I heard that it's better to go Upper Canyon to see the sunlight peaking through the canyon. Is that correct? My husband love photography thus this would be something he would enjoying capturing. Is this something doable and will the weather be warm enough for activities on the lake? I have not book any hotel in Page yet but from what I can see, there seem to be plenty of accommodation still available. Which hotel would be best for a family & centrally located?

Appreciate all the help!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
60,155 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itenary from Vegas to Page - April 16

Days Inn is the most popular place to stay in Page. Book in advance.

Horseshoe agenda is best in the late morning or mid day. By late afternoon the canyon is in shadows and your view is directly into the sun. The raft trip is on the Colorado River in a Glen Canyon, below the dam, not on Lake Powell. After the trip you probably won't have the time or energy for kayaking. Perhaps head for a beach and get in the water.

Both Antelope Canyons are cool to visit and sunlight shines in when it's high in the sky. Your kids will probably enjoy the lower canyon tour better than upper.

Best place for sunset and probably best upon your arrival day is Wahweep Overlook, just west of Page and the dam.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,936 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itenary from Vegas to Page - April 16

Once you get to Barstow, an interesting route is to take I-40 rather than I-15 and get off at Kelbaker Road and drive thru the Mojave Preserve via the Kelso Dunes/Depot. Take Cima Road to rejoin I-15 adds about an hour to the drive.

Between Vegas and Page is Valley of Fire, the Virgin River Gorge, Pipe Spring NM...

If you go the other way, via hwy 9 you go thru Zion.

Horseshoe Bend is a sandy walk out to the point about 3/4 mile away. Best seen in mid morning. At sunset you look into the sun. Look a Wahweap Overlook for sunset. See the colors change on the lake/rocks as the sun drops.

Check the website for opening days, but the kids(if they surf like every other HB local)may enjoy the wakeboard park.

www.antelopepointlakepowell.com

Edited: 12 April 2014, 07:24
Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Itenary from Vegas to Page - April 16

wow, thanks for the quick replies. RedRox, so it's not advisable to see Horseshoe around 3-4ish? If so then do you have any recommendation as to how we can fit in Horseshoe, Antelope Canyon, 1/2 day Raft trip? I suppose we can depart Vegas earlier if needed. I'm thinking the lake water might still be too cold so I didn't plan to have the kids spend time in the water. Hence i thought maybe kayaking. what would you recommend we do after the raft trip if it's too cold to play in water?

Dez40, we visited Valley of Fire & Zion last spring road trip. They are both amazing destinations. This time around we would like to explore places we have not been. I will look into the alternative route from Barstow as you've mentioned and Wahweap Overlook for sunset for sure.My kids are still a bit young for wakeboard park so we will just have to save that for a later time.

Also I checked Days Inn but they're sold out for the days that we'll be there. The other availability that i'm looking into are Best western, marriot courtyard & Lake Powell Resorts. Any feedback on those three? I saw on map that Lake Powell Resorts is furthest away from other hotels and town so I'm worry it may not be convenient.

Edited: 12 April 2014, 08:21
Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itenary from Vegas to Page - April 16

You may check out Quality Inn and ask for a room with Lake Powell views (they also have balconies). Lake Powell resort is at Lake Powell app 6 miles away from Page center. There are 2 best Westerns opposite Quality Inn but they don't have balconies. Courtyard is most upscale and sits on the hill below Quality/BW so you have to walk up (and down) the hill to the center of Page but it's a good hotel. Tiny balconies.

Between Las Vegas and Page Dez already metioned Pipe Sping NM. Great place for a short visit with kids that age.

Jackson, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
574 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itenary from Vegas to Page - April 16

Before you cross the border as you come in on 89 you will pass through Big water Utah, on.y about 15 - 20 minutes from Page. There is a hike possibility there called Toadstools. You can see photos of it on our photos it would be an option, but be sure to have lots of water and it could take 1-2 hours. If you skip it , be sure to stop at the Bureau of land management visitor center a couple miles further east. They have a few great dinosaur fossils on display and nice bathrooms.

At 3 o'clock you. Would have time to go into the glen canyon dam visitor center and take photos from the overlook and walk out onto the bridge. If you want to take the tour you have to reserve ahead and would need to check the timing of the last tour.

Then as you cross the river east there is a nice Dam overlook area where you can get some nice photos and the kids can scramble onto some slickrock. It comes up very quick and the signs are very small.

We went to horseshoe bend late in the afternoon. The lighting for photography is not as ideal , but it is still impressive. And, you cannot leave Page without seeing it. If you look at our photos you will see our photo taken around 5-6 pm.

Blue Buddha is a great restaurant in Page. Also second that you do lower antelope canyon with the kids. They will love climbing all the ladders and descending into it through a crack in the earth. Less crowded

Atascadero...
Destination Expert
for Lake Powell
Level Contributor
1,529 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Itenary from Vegas to Page - April 16

Lake temperature will probably be about 53 to 55 on April 16. Cold. Kayaking would be fun, but a half day rental from either Page-area marina won't allow you to see the better kayaking spots on the lake--though I'd opt for Antelope Point Marina, since you'll be within striking distance of both Navajo and Antelope canyons, which are more interesting than anything you'd see out of Wahweap.

As for Horseshoe Bend, I'm with Gwenbry--don't let warnings about avoiding an afternoon visit scare you off. Go for it. Lighting may not be ideal, but the place remains impressive in any light, and a good photographer can get very interesting shots with the sun out in front of them... Note also that if you stay to the southern (left) side of Horseshoe Bend as you approach it on foot, then the canyon will be somewhat side lit and from slightly behind, and that's not too bad at all for pictures. Can be dramatic, in fact.

Edited: 13 April 2014, 08:46
Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itenary from Vegas to Page - April 16

http://www.pbase.com/brianowski/horseshoe

Atascadero...
Destination Expert
for Lake Powell
Level Contributor
1,529 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Itenary from Vegas to Page - April 16

Thanks Tet--that's what I'm talking about... good photo potential all day long...

Edited: 13 April 2014, 09:07
Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Itenary from Vegas to Page - April 16

Thank you all for the tips and advise. I finalized the trip & booked at Best Western as Days Inn will be under renovation & there won't be hot breakfast. We will definitely try to visit the places mentioned especially Lower Antelope Canyon, Horseshoe, & the raft. Last spring when we went to Zion i followed the advises here as well and had a great awesome time so i'm sure this trip will be the same.

Tet....Thanks for the different pictures of Horseshoe! It's amazing anytime of the day.

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Itenary from Vegas to Page - April 16

Also, does anyone know if the 89 closure will impact this trip at all if we're coming from Las Vegas & then returning to OC via Vegas?

I also read that the 1/2 day raft is partially impacted and cut short a bit due to this closure. Is this true?