We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Page portion of our AZ-UT-LV trip

Suwanee,GA
Level Contributor
60 posts
212 reviews
Page portion of our AZ-UT-LV trip

I've gotten wonderful suggestions and help in the Sedona forum thus far, but still trying to figure out best order/option for our two night stay in Page. We are two adults in our 40s with two teens,14 and turning 17, all fit. We are driving to Page from the GC after two nights there, first thing on the morning of June 2. Things we want to accomplish before leaving Page June 4th to head to Bryce Canyon:

Horseshoe Bend

Float Trip

Antelope Canyon possibly both upper and lower

Glen Canyon Dam tour

Does the following make sense or is there a better order?

Thurs- drive straight to Antelope Canyon for upper tour. Dam tour after that. Check into Best Western Plus Lake Powell, and dinner possibly at Into the Grand. Son's 17th birthday this day, and wanted to find something relatively memorable for dinner, but not coming up with many options. Suggestions?

Fri- Horseshoe Bend, Lower Ant Canyon tour, 1pm float tour , Wahweap Overlook for sunset, dinner at Blue Wine Bar for tapas

Sat- Early start, drive to Kanab, Coral Pink Sand Dunes- rent sand boards, drive on to Bryce.

Should we skip lower antelope canyon? I liked the idea of the ladders down in, but not sure if it would be too much of the same with upper the day before. Also, didn't know if that was trying to do too much Fri- Horseshoe, lower, and having to arrive at 12:30 for float trip.

We will not be able to fit Hoover Dam on this trip so would like to visit Glen Canyon Dam. However, I just read it currently only allows the upper portion of tour due to construction. Is it still worth the visit?

Thanks!

Suwanee,GA
Level Contributor
60 posts
212 reviews
1. Re: Page portion of our AZ-UT-LV trip

I forgot to add I'd love to find a place to swim in Lake Powell. Do you think we could work in the Coves or Lone Rock Beach, or is it overkill?

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City, Lake Powell
Level Contributor
20,137 posts
36 reviews
2. Re: Page portion of our AZ-UT-LV trip

You are trying to cram a lot in to a couple of days.

Here's what I suggest.

Stop by Horseshoe Bend on your way in to Page from the Grand Canyon. Plan about an hour and a half there for the hike to/from the Bend. Do the first Antelope Canyon tour that you can get on when you get to Page.

You want to do the raft trip in the morning. It will be too hot in the afternoon. After lunch do the Glen Canyon Dam tour and maybe drive out to Lone Rock Beach for a swim. However, be advised that there is no shade at Lone Rock. Alternately, do the other Antelope Canyon tour that you didn't do yesterday.

To swim anywhere other than at Lone Rock would require getting in a boat and going up the lake.

There have been reports on other threads that Antelope Canyon tours are filling up quickly. You are probably going to want to make reservations.

Page isn't known for it's great food. But we like the Dam Bar and Grill. Get seated on the patio and you'll have a view of Lake Powell.

Edited: 23 April 2016, 17:59
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
3. Re: Page portion of our AZ-UT-LV trip

With the riverraft a bus brings you to the foot of the dam so you can seeit then. Halfway the raft you'stop to see petroglyphs but the youngsters can take a swim instead.Water wil be cold. Good food at Bonkers restaurant.

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
5,291 posts
156 reviews
4. Re: Page portion of our AZ-UT-LV trip

Agree that food quality in Page can be hit or miss, but for a memorable dinner down close to Lake Powell, I'd suggest the Rainbow Room at Lake Powell Resort or Ja'di To'oh (probably mutilating the spelling) at Antelope Point Marina. Both are within NPS fee areas about 10 minutes from Page. We took my stepson to Ja'di To'oh for his birthday some years ago and I contacted the manager in advance and they made a cake for him, had the wait staff sing happy b-day, etc. You might give that a try yourself.

Edited: 23 April 2016, 20:02
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
2,434 posts
8 reviews
5. Re: Page portion of our AZ-UT-LV trip

As Tet noted, you will get a fantastic view of the dam from the bottom when you are in the river. But for only $2.50 (half the regular price during construction), it would be worth it to me to walk out onto the top of the dam for an educational tour.

I wouldn't fret about making it to both upper and lower AC with all the rest you want to do. They are both equally awesome, just more awesomeness if you see both. Lower may be a little more fun, with the stairs, etc.

Many say horseshoe bend is best viewed when sun is high (no shadows). Morning sun is at your back, later afternoon you would be looking into the sun.

Suwanee,GA
Level Contributor
60 posts
212 reviews
6. Re: Page portion of our AZ-UT-LV trip

Great advice- so helpful.

So, leave GV, stop at Horseshoe Bend first, then on to Antelope Canyon for lower tour. We will need to eat lunch somewhere. If we leave GC right after breakfast, where could we eat lunch during these activities? I've tried numerous types of searches and not finding previous posts on this. Do you think we could then drive to Antelope, schedule a tour, then go find lunch while we wait. I've heard allow 3 hours to get to Page, an hour for Horseshoe, and 1.5 for Antelope. I also had planned to reserve a tour for Antelope instead of just showing up, but worried with stops for Horseshoe and lunch it might be hard to pinpoint a good time.

Suwanee,GA
Level Contributor
60 posts
212 reviews
7. Re: Page portion of our AZ-UT-LV trip

K-Bot, thanks for the restaurant suggestions- I had seen the one at the marina, and thought it looked fun, but the last few reviews made me hesitate. I'll check into Bonkers. Anyone try Blue for tapas in the evening?

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City, Lake Powell
Level Contributor
20,137 posts
36 reviews
8. Re: Page portion of our AZ-UT-LV trip

With an early departure from GC (before 8 am), you should be to Horseshoe by about 11 AM. You need 1.5 hours at Horseshoe Bend. Drive into Page for a quick lunch. You could probably make a 3 pm tour at Antelope Canyon. There's nothing between Cameron Trading Post and Page where you can get lunch. The other option is to have a small cooler with and pick up something at Cameron Trading Post to eat when you're done at Horseshoe Bend. Be sure you have plenty of water with you for the hike to Horseshoe Bend. There's no shade and it will most likely be hot.

9. Re: Page portion of our AZ-UT-LV trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 April 2017, 06:16