We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aerial Tramway or Skylift ???

Which Gatlinburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
1,575 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Aerial Tramway or Skylift ???

My family (me, boyfriend, kids, 16, 14 & 9) are going to the Gatlingburg area 5/27 - 6/3. I was wondering which one you guys preferred, the aerial tramway or the skylift?

Thanks

Hattiesburg...
Level Contributor
761 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aerial Tramway or Skylift ???

I prefer the skylift, but it does not go up to Ober Gatlinburg if thats what you are trying to do. There was just a big discussion about this the other day and lots of people weighed in. so here is the link! Hope it helps!

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60842-i150-k10872…

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
39,133 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Aerial Tramway or Skylift ???

Both are "overpriced" if you ask me, but it really comes down to your final destination and preferences.

Are you wanting to get to Ober Gatlinburg or not? Do you want an indoor ride or an outdoor ride?

Tramway gets you to Ober Gatlinburg and is an "indoor" ride up to the resort.

Skylift is all outdoor and simply goes to the top of its mountain and comes back. No other destinations are served by it.

Great Smoky...
Level Contributor
2,019 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Aerial Tramway or Skylift ???

Neither because I am a big scardy cat of heights !!!!!!!!!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
1,575 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Aerial Tramway or Skylift ???

Thank you everyone for your information.

My mother is going with us on this trip and she's a bit scared of heights as well. I guess we will just wait until we get in the area and then decide which one she will actually get on.

9 weeks and counting. I have never been to this area and I'm so looking forward to going!

pekin IL
Level Contributor
499 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Aerial Tramway or Skylift ???

Skylift is fun, in a touristy sort of way. Views are pretty awesome. Cost was only $6 per, at least that was the price last June. We thought it was well worth it...........

Ohio
Level Contributor
577 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Aerial Tramway or Skylift ???

Definitely the Sky Lift for me! We did the tram on our honeymoon.....9 years ago & that was the last time for me. We were packed in there & it's really far off the ground On the Sky Lift I feel like if I actually fell to the ground, I'd just roll down the mountain! It really is fun & our dd really enjoys it too! As mentioned the views are awesome & they take your picture which we always buy....it's a tradition!

Mississippi
Level Contributor
268 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Aerial Tramway or Skylift ???

We always ride the Gatlinburg Skylift. We have a picture of us from every trip we've ever taken, which is one a year since 2001.

The price to ride for adults is $12.00 each, and that's how much it was last June. I don't ever recall riding it for cheaper. The price is stated on their website:

http://www.gatlinburgskylift.com

I have pics from 2005:

http://www.snakeyez.us/vacation2005.html

and from 2006:

http://www.snakeyez.us/vacation2006.html

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
733 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Aerial Tramway or Skylift ???

Is the skylift safe for riding with a baby/toddler on your lap?

Cinn, OH
Level Contributor
1,446 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Aerial Tramway or Skylift ???

I know I would prefer the tram with a young child, maybe I am just a chicken.

Gonzales, Louisiana
Level Contributor
624 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Aerial Tramway or Skylift ???

i think I would take the child on the Tram.....all the kids that have been on the tram have seemed to enjoy it. I dont know if they let you ride the skylift with a child on your lap.