We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling with a Baby

Which Gatlinburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mississippi
Level Contributor
193 posts
Save Topic
Traveling with a Baby

I will be traveling this summer with my baby who will be two months old. I'm trying to think of everything that I might possibly need to pack. For those of you that have traveled with infants, what advice do you have for packing, traveling, and advice for when we get there? We are renting an SUV so we will have plenty of room. We go to the mountains every year, but this is the first time with a baby along.

Asheboro, N.C.
Level Contributor
1,962 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling with a Baby

You might need a bottle warmer that you can plug into the lighter to heat the baby's bottle. A sunscreen in the baby's window would be nice too. A stroller with a sun cover, umbrella strolers are easier to use in crowds. Pack all the normal stuff, diapers, wipes, etc.

Cinn, OH
Level Contributor
1,449 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling with a Baby

If you use a bottle, I would either bring a small cooler, or something I used to do, was bring a small jug, I could fit a bottle into along with a tupperware glass of formula, with ice, then hang it on the handle. Definitely bring a hat for baby, even if your stroller has a cover. I used to bring a play pen for my babies to sleep in, I know the hotels have cribs, but I don't know how many times we were given a crib and a regular twin sheet to use on it. Plan on traveling during their regular nap time or even nighttime.

Bowling Green,KY
Level Contributor
168 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling with a Baby

Definently a stroller.

Asheboro, N.C.
Level Contributor
1,962 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling with a Baby

Yes Yes Yes bring a baby portacrib or playpen. We used to take ours with us always. Even when your picnicing your baby can play in the playpen while you eat. That way the baby gets a little strectch time out of the stroller.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,065 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling with a Baby

Make sure baby gets used to being in the portacrib or playpen before leaving home...so it's not all new and strange. You might want to also use a baby sling (there are several types available now) that allows baby to go with you without the emcumbrance of a stroller. Our first son was born in Canada and I used a front pack carry for him. We were living in West Africa when our second son was born and the Africans taught me to put our second son on my back with a simple metre long piece of cloth. However lately I've seen mothers with little ones in a sling type in front of them which both baby and mother seem very comfortable with. Strollers are GREAT....but sometimes the terrain is a bit rough for their wheels and some people find carrying baby in a sling rather than their arms is less tiring and frees their hands.

Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,409 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling with a Baby

leigh, we're travelling with our baby down there in 2 weeks, but she's 17 months now. but when she was younger, we used to travel all over with her. bring her blankie if she has one, let her sleep in the packnplay a few times at home, if you have a mobile or something she likes to look at bring that (we have that fisher price aqarium thing you hang on the side of the crib). if you put her in a bouncey seat or swing, bring those (there are foldable travel baby swings, my daughter loved hers.) the infant carrier is great, i'd carry her on my front around the office and she'd just fall asleep and i was able to get work done. sun hats, sunblock... bottles, bottle brush for washing. we used to pre-portion powdered formula out in a little container for her, it had 3 compartments and you could dump one compartment in at a time into a bottle with the right amount of water. was nice and prevented us from needing a cooler. diapers, diaper rash ointment just in case. anti-gas drops just in case (ours used to get gas in her little belly so much, we had to put a few drops of mylicon in every bottle to help combat it). diapers, wipes, formula, tylenol (just in case), nasal aspirator, nail clippers... nothing like being on vacation and she gets a hangnail. body wash, towels, washclothes, pacifiers if she takes one (more than one, they'll get lost easily). bottle warmer for the car is a good idea... mine would never take it cold. put liquids in a ziplock bag and then pack. double check and make sure all lids are tightly on. oh, and sheets for the packnplay matress pad thing... we found a nice padded sheet that made it much more comfortable for her. plenty of spit rags and bibs, lightweight clothes if its hot. if you need to do laundry and you're there for a while, bring laundry detergent. oh, if you're breastfeeding, get a boppy pillow and be sure to bring that. that comes in handy for just resting baby in as well.

just try to keep her schedule regular. dont try to overdo it, ours would get over stimulated and just get so upset... would have to take her in a dark room nd cuddle to calm her down. good luck, you'll have plenty of fun!

Orange Beach
Level Contributor
453 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling with a Baby

From a nana that has just traveled with two month old twin boys - a changing pad - most of the changing tables in public facilities never have the paper so you will need a changing pad. Next tylenol and mylecon drops and your pedi's phone number. If on formula enough for the trip. I wouldn't be without the nose syringe and the regular syringe in case of an emergency. I use one of the harness carriers because not everywhere in the mountains can you use a stroller and along those lines if you have an umbrella stroller they are much lighter and take up much less space and go up hills easier - but then you will need a baby hat to shade the heads and make sure you have baby sunscreen - also just to make sure I'd pack a bottle of the glycerin suppositories. I know this is TMI for some but with two month olds you need to get down to the nitty gritty to make the vacation enjoyable for all. Those are just a few of the things you might not think about - Happy vacation

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
429 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traveling with a Baby

Nana,

Where have you been?? We've missed you, welcome back!

Leigh, I think Irish and Nana pretty much covered things--we always took things we used everyday at home, especially the changing pad and your own crib--but just remember that if you do forget something, you can run in a store and get whatever you need.

The first time you go on vacation is the best learning experience as far as taking what you need and leaving behind what you don't need--the main thing to take is a relaxed state of mind, don't get uptight or worried about things, because the baby will pick up on your anxiety. Just relax and have a good time and go with the flow.

One thing we always did was get our own pediatrician to recommend one in the area we would be vacationing in, just in case! You hope things don't happen, but if you're prepared and then don't need the info, great. Horrible to have something like a fever pop up overnight, and you're in strange area and don't know who to call.

Please post a trip report when you get back later this summer to let us know what works for you, and things you do that might help someone else.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
193 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Traveling with a Baby

Thank you everyone for your ideas and advice! I already have a list for the baby with 47 items. I'll be sure to post how things went when we get back. Until then, please keep the advice coming.

Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,409 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Traveling with a Baby

oh yes! changing pads are a must. we used the one that came with the diaper bag for when we got to our destination, and used the disposable ones while we were on the road and using fast food restaurant bathrooms or rest stops. we took my baby to myrtle beach last summer when she was 6 months, and i resorted to just changing her in the car or underneath a shade tree on a blanket. the open mountain air did her bottom good!