We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

we're leaving tomorrow!

Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,534 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
we're leaving tomorrow!

♪♫we're leaving tomorrow♪♫ we're leaving tomorrow ♪♫ at 7 am ♪♫

can you tell i'm singing, i'm so excited? Here's our itinerary (yes, i'm one of those anal people who like to "plan" a bit much)

Friday

Arrive in the area between 12 and 1 pm. Eat lunch someplace quick if we haven’t done so already.

Drive through Seiverville and Pigeon Forge. Stop and browse outlet malls. (i didn't really care to do this, but my husband and the other couple we're going with want to, so I'm outnumbered).

Stop at welcome center in gatlinburg and pick up park brochures, maps and trolley schedule.

Drive to Arts n crafts area, drive around and look at shops and check out the area.

Check into cabin at 3:30.

Relax, make dinner at home for the night.

Go into town and walk around for a bit that night?

Maybe stop by Sugarlands visitors center (closes at 6), walk to small waterfall, get brochures.

Saturday

Get up and drive the Roaring Fork Motor nature Trail. Hike to Grotto Falls (3 mi round trip Trailhead: From the parkway in Gatlinburg,

turn at traffic light #8 and follow Historic Nature Trail into Great Smoky Mountains National Park. Take Roaring Fork Motor

Nature Trail to stop #5 where there is a large parking area).

Take packed picnic lunch and either eat along the trail somewhere, or drive to Greenbrier and eat there.

Relax that afternoon at the cabin. Explore A&C area.

Eat dinner either at cabin, or Park Grill.

Sunday

Eat breakfast at Pancake Pantry.

Either go to Cades Cove early, or hike to Laurel Falls (paved, can take stroller?).

Eat lunch at cabin, or in A&C area (pub or tea room).

Relax, whatever.

Eat dinner at home or at Park Grill.

Watch sunset at Clingmans dome?

Monday

Checkout at 10:30.

Drive home on 321… take foothills parkway or 321 to I-40.

pekin IL
Level Contributor
499 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: we're leaving tomorrow!

Lucky, lucky, LUCKY!! You're singing, I'm envious!! Pretty ambitious itinerary, don't forget to take time to relax, and enjoy. Hope you have a blast, is there room for a middle age bald guy to hitch a ride??? I'll be pretty low maintenance........

Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,534 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: we're leaving tomorrow!

considering the people i'm going with (husband and his best friends and wife), plus my 17 month old daughter, i know we wont' be sticking to this... only thing i want to do very much is the Roaring Fork and hike to Grotto Falls, plus eat at the Pancake Pantry. everythign else, i could care less. i'm just happy to be going! we aren't there nearly long enough, but it'll do. left our afternoons open for whatever, baby will need to nap, etc... so hopefully all will go well!.

Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,534 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: we're leaving tomorrow!

OH and squat, i'll tell you what i told Smokiesgirl... if you can find yourself a trailer that we can hitch to the back of our packed SUV and then meet us on the I-75 bridge between Ohio and Kentucky... of COURSE you can hitch a ride ;-)

Illinois
Level Contributor
942 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: we're leaving tomorrow!

Yes, I can tell you are excited !!! Ummmmmm, you may have to re-arrange your schedule a little though......I'm afraid you arn't going to be able to cram in everything you have planned for Friday ..especially if you browse the outlets..you'll understand when you get there !!! ( and you may have to delete all those "relax at the cabin "plans also if you want to see everything you have mentioned !!! ) This is you first trip to the area, correct ? ;-).....you're gonna have to start planning a return trip !! October will be our 7th year going and we still haven't seen everything we want to !!!

Have Fun !!!

Laurel Falls...paved, yes, can take stroller, yes , but remember ,it's 1.3 miles of steady incline up to the falls. You'll have to decide if pushing a stroller or carrying the child would be better

Illinois
Level Contributor
942 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: we're leaving tomorrow!

I noticed Cades Cove was not in you "must do" list... go to Roaring Fork for sure, but DON'T skip Cades Cove !!!

Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,534 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: we're leaving tomorrow!

oh yes, i know i'm being ambitious about friday, but everything is flexible. i have no desire to go to outlet malls, because we have some very good ones near where we live... i dont know why the other 3 want to stop. same stores too. but i digress....

this is our second trip to the area. we were there exactly 2 years ago. i was pregnant, and we were with a huge party of like 12 people. my husbands best friend proposed to his girlfriend on that trip, so this trip is special for them, 2 years since getting engaged, they got married last fall.

we have a nice baby steel framed backpack we're going to use on our hikes. stroller was just an option because she falls asleep in her stroller very easily, and i dont know if she'll fall asleep i nthe backpack at all! we atarted planning our return trip there for last memorial day weekend, but our friends had to back out at the last minute, so we had to cancel and come this memorial weekend. i think it's going to become our "thing." memorial day in gatlinburg. next year we'll have 2 kids though, 1 at 2 1/2 and the new baby will be about 6 months by then. so we won't be doign as much, but i'll still plan!

Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,534 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: we're leaving tomorrow!

we did cades cove last time we were there, i'm not sure if i can convince the husband to do it again. he got very ticked about the traffic and people stopping to take pics of deer (we have deer all over the place here, in our neighborhood, eating the pears off my tree in the backyard). i was also dismayed at the inconsideration of some people when i was trying to take pictures ... i didn't get a single shot of the homes and churches without a person in them, and people were walking right in front of my tripod. but we went at a bad time, it was a saturday or sunday afternoon, and i know things get busy then. so i know we'll give it another shot someday, if we don't on this trip. i think riding bikes on a saturday mornign would be perfect, but we need to get baby seats mounted on our bikes...

Mason, Michigan
Level Contributor
135 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: we're leaving tomorrow!

Irish,

Hope you have a great trip. I'd love to hear about it. We're leaving Michigan for Gatlinburg in 22 days. We get to spend a week. With a 4 and 6 year old, we'll need it.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
1,582 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: we're leaving tomorrow!

Oh Irish

I'm so excited for you!! and of course I'm getting excited for myself.

3 more days to go. We leave late saturday night/early Sunday morning.

I cannot wait to read your trip report once i get back.

pekin IL
Level Contributor
499 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: we're leaving tomorrow!

Cool beans. I should be in Covington early AM.........

Have a GREAT time!!!!